Finally got a friend into woodworking

After having him come over and use my shop on and off for a couple years, I finally talked a friend into setting up his own woodworking shop when I showed him the article from Popular Woodworking a couple months ago on setting up a budget shop. He wants to go with a lot of what they suggest, but unfortunately, for the big items (TS and jointer), their suggestions are Grizzly and Bridgeport (if I remember correctly) and neither of them can be picked up any way other than mail order. He absolutely does not want to buy anything sight unseen or untouched.

With the rising price of tools in the near future, he doesn't want to wait to buy, but I really have no other suggestions for him. I told him to wait for a local WW show in February, but he feels that will put the tools out of his price range.

Ideas?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I believe Grizzly will supply the names/info of folks in your area who don't mind showing off their Griz products. Give 'em a call and ask.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

If you have a Sears nearby, take him over to see the new tablesaw with the Biesmeyer fence (list $950 but always on sale). Gets pretty decent reviews here.

For less that $1K, I think that I would go Grizzly tho.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Yes they will. At least they did about 2-1/2 years ago when I bought my

1023s Cabinet Saw. They will provide names and phone numbers of up to two in your area that have made similar purchases recently. These are people who have volunteered to provide the service. I called and spoke to one of the customers at length and he offered to have me over to look at his saw. I did not have to since I had already visited the Springfield store.
Reply to
RonB