anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Page 2 of 6
On 06 Apr 2004 10:25:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

So...you must mean turnover because of death. Just so people don't get the idea that there's a turnover because they're disgruntled employees.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06 Apr 2004 10:25:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

A couple weeks ago there was some guy on the radio who wanted Walmart sued because they weren't paying a family wage to their employees. The radio hosts kept asking him "since when did Walmart ever claim they were going to pay a family wage?"
I have no idea what the local pay is like, but a lot of the people I see in the local Walmart have been there for years, at least as long as I've been going into the store (coming up on 5 years now). That's not just retirees, it's cashiers and the like.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brian Henderson writes:

Everyone is supposed to get a "family" wage from day one? Maybe after 6 years in college.
It's a ludicrous concept, IMO.
I seem to recall an old idea, "work your way up", that may have gone by the boards now.
As I said, from what I've seen the number of retirees working at various Walmart stores is high (or apparent retirees. They are all people who look older than I do). I'm sure most of them would like $10 an hour for smiling at customers, but I doubt any of them would believe it if it was offered.
And, of course, your radio twerp didn't specify what a "family wage" might be. I know people who need 100K a year to barely maintain their family's life style and I know others who do pretty well on 10K, net. Depends a lot on what the "family" expects and how large it is.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 7-Apr-2004, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

A recent study in Canada found that folks who earned in the $100k-$250k range found life "tough" because of economic issues. Folks who were in the lower wage ranges didn't see life as that bad, since they got by. Yer view depends entirely on how far yer head is shoved up yer ass :-)
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

I'm 32 years old now. It wasn't until I was 28 years old that I really made enough money to support myself. I doubled my salary at age 29 so I could easily support a family now.
There were years after college that I was only taking home $500 or $600 a month after taxes. At age 29 I sold a business for 6 figures and got a new higher paying job.
I lived through a lot of lean years to get where I am now with a new house, RV, and a new car.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
βœ–
you subscribe to the theory that the one who dies with the most toys wins?
dave
Brian Elfert wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
twerp??? you are dating yourself there, charlie-boy. :) I'm supposed to be the big name caller around these parts. don't try to usurp my place in the scheme of things.
do professional writers usually write in the manner that you have sunk to? I'm just wondering. I think you are the only one I know.
How about those "HAND" drills? Was it REALLY the editor that mucked up the title of your article? Seems kinda cowardly to blame him...
dave
Charlie Self wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry, Brian, I'm not trying to p*ss you off, but maybe you should adjust the direction of your anger. Instead of getting angry at the transit workers, maybe you should be asking why you don't get "subsidized health care" and why taxpayers "don't get the same".
TPTB make way too much money from keeping Americans away from public, affordable health care. The last figures I read in 1991 said that Americans would save /over/ /$67/ /billion/ /a/ /year/ by going to a universal, public health care system.
Get angry at those private (and government) parasites instead of people at the bottom of the food chain trying to better their conditions.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Canada has a universal health care system. There are Canadians who come to USA and pay cash for health care as the waits are so long in Canada.
I'm guess Canada is trying to save too much money with their universal health care system.
Universal health care would probably work in the USA if congress funded it properly. If health care is nationalized, politicians will always look at cutting health care as way to save money.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brian Elfert responds:

The waits are long in Canada, or so I'm told, on some kinds of "health" care: cosmetic plastic surgery and similar procedures. Voluntary surgery may often take a long time, but my understanding is that there is little or no back-up in necessary procedures.

Probably not. The Canadian government, like all governments, has its problems and inherent injustices, but I have not heard that many bad things about Canadian health care.

You mean the way they look at underfunding defense requests?
Charlie Self "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Why should any health care system pay for cosmetic plastic surgery unless required due to accident or injury?
Isn't cosmetic platic surgery always a cash only type of health care option?
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brian Elfert asks:

Well, I dunno. A few years ago, a guy in Roanoke was trying to collect money, while castigating his health insurance company for not paying, for experimental treatment for his wife's cancer. I can understand the desparation that drives such a desire, but with absolutely no known chance of success, should all the other policyholders be forced to bear that expense?
As I recall, he did collect the necessary $150,000 plus from the community, but the treatment didn't work, or if it did,it gave her six months of extra life (possibly extra).
But I'd guess some cosmetic surgeries are more apt to be covered than others, as you say, starting with accident and injury types and going on to those that might improve quality of life. I might better have said "non-life threatening" conditions take longer to treat.
Just as they do in the U.S. in many parts of our "voluntary" pay system.
But it probably takes longer to line up something like non-critical knee replacement surgery, joint clean-up for arthritic conditions (which some surgeons don't approve of anyway), and similar surgeries, while treatment for a broken leg is going to be immediate.
I'd actually like to find some more information on this and may go do so. It doesn't much matter to me (Medicare and VA cover my needs pretty well for the moment), but my curiosity is piqued. I am more than slightly certain that Canadian nationalized medical care gets a bad rap which I do not hear when I question Canadians. But maybe they haven't been in the position of using our marvelous U.S. health care system, where an insured knee surgery costs $1800 or less, and the hospital, surgeon and gas passer bills the uninsured patient a total of almost $9000. And the surgeon mildly screws up the procedure, so the joint has to be re-done 4 years later.
Charlie Self "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
βœ–

A friend in Vancouver BC needed a back operation. He could barely walk and was in a lot of pain. It was considered non-critical and he was put off at least three times over a two year period. He was contemplating coming to the US and paying himself. Last time surgery was scheduled in Canada he died before the date. He said this was common in the system.
I'm insured and have no worries of that. Good family coverage in the US is $550 to $900/month. Kind of pricey for a low to medium wage earner that does not have it as a job benefit. Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–

Watch out for the corporate/media propaganda! In the last few weeks, I have undergone blood work, cardiogram, carotid echo cardiogram, CT scan, and followup GP dicussions on test results. ALL of this work was done virtually immediately. The ONLY delays were in scheduling around my weird availability. Don't believe all you read.
Corporate America wants no part of public health care. The corporate world up here are lobbying trying to get their hands on all that creamy taxpayer money. Remember, the two biggest sources of untapped MEGA bucks are health care and education. Some corporations must get all moist just dreaming about them.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ask the Canadians what they think about universal public health!
"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, I think, as a Canadian, I can sum it up reasonably accurately (some would disagree, of course):
a) Most Canadians think our health care system is broken b) The huge majority of Canadians think it is vastly better then our neighbours to the south.
Canadian politics are night and day from American politics. I get sucked into reading these diatribes on politics here; just can't help myself. It is sort of like watching an accident. In Canada, we generally expect out politicians to be somewhat corrupt, a little dim and a few other things. Afterall, if they were smart and corrupt, they would be CEOs. Better pay and more power. Basic Canadian voting strategy, outside of Alberta: a) Vote for the lesser evil. There is no good guy. b) If you cannot determine (a), vote for the guy least likely to screw things up. This is probably the most common case. We strongly reward pollies who do the minimum possible to stay in power. c) If you cannot determine (b), vote for the current guy. Better the devil you know then the demon you don't.
I don't know WTF they are up to in Alberta. That is a foreign country.
Most canadians are baffled at the outraged fuss 'cause a polly fooled around with an intern and lied about it. We wouldn't expect him to be honest about it. Nor would we expect him to be faithful. Most canadians are extremely baffled that people still go on about it. Out of sight, out of mind, that is the canadian motto. Politicians who espouse excess religious ideals are looked upon with a lot of suspicion, even by those of the same religion.
Canadian political discussion: Guy A) "Government sucks, eh?" Guy B) "Yeah." Guy A) "Watch the hockey game last night?"
But, mess with the health care too much; you are out the door faster then you could blink. It is sacred.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Paul Kierstead responds:

Yes, well there are those of us who feel pretty much the same way down here. It's the Catch 22, though, that enough emphasis on that kind of thing created enough expense and stir that people will be screaming about the results, such as they were, for decades, when, of course, the basic thing was a guy lying about screwing around so his wife and kid wouldn't find out...in his case, that he was still at it.
Politicians who espouse any religion at all except in church make my skin crawl, whilst my eyeballs start searching to see if that pin stripe is covering red skin and horns with a tail curled up the back of the jacket. I guess cowboy boots will do to cover the cloven hooves.

One could wish.
Charlie Self "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article <pmkierst-93C092.14383309042004

Most of us in the US wouldn't have cared either except that said politician lied about it while under oath while testifying in a trial accusing him of having sexually harrassed another woman. Funny thing was that prior to that time, sexual harrassment was a huge cause celebre among his side of the aisle, leading to huge lawsuits, the resignation of a couple of politicians on the other side of the aisle, and serving as a rallying cry against "evil CEO's and others in authority" using such harassment to dominate their subordinates among that side of the aisle until *he* was accused of said act. Then the same people who were ready to "burn the witches" when they were CEO's were all of a sudden throwing their backs out flip-flopping around to come to his defense.

Not even in a legal proceeding?

Add pictures here
βœ–

A politician LIED?!?!
OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:54:40 GMT, Mark & Juanita

some, maybe. certainly not all. what I saw most of from the liberal community was disgust and a sense of betrayal.

Add pictures here
βœ–