Anyone else despise Amazon?

Page 2 of 2

Interesting. I have used them several times for books, tools and other items - but admittedly not during the past few months. Most items have been ordered using their super-shipping with I always assumed was going to take weeks. I always received the item within 3-4 days. Even one second-hand book was delivered from a partner shop in less than a week.
I'll have to watch closer in the future.
RonB
RonB wrote:

It is now like Wally-World--ok for the absolute bottom-feeder common-most items (as long as you are aware of what they <really> cost so you don't get suckered).
It appears that many of the lesser-volume products particularly from Freud are simply listed but unobtainable. I posted my tail of woe regarding replacement planer blades some time back--they're <still> on order since last September--every two weeks the mail robot sends me a new two-week delay and requires me to confirm I <still> want the items... :(

The robot is stuttering this morning. So far I have received three emails that my raised panel bit has shipped; all sent at different times. I hope I don't get charged for three.
Gary
Duane Bozarth wrote:

The same thing has happened to me Duane. I am forced at work to use Amazon to order a lot of stuff. They list a book, the book is not in stock. The bot tells me every 2 weeks to verify that I still want it, and I'm forced to say "yes", because my employer won't let me buy it anywhere else.
And I do agree with you, it's been the last 2 years that they've really gone into the crapper.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Duane's experience is exactly the same as mine. I have had good luck with Amazon in the past, and I've bought plenty of tools through them, but lately it seems like I just can't trust what I see on their website in terms of availability. I've been trying to get a Biesemeyer splitter for my PM66 since early in May. They just keep sending me the delay e-mails week after week. I'm begining to wonder if I'm going to get this thing before Christmas. It almost seems like they are waiting for me to give up and just say 'the hell with it'.
If they don't have it, cant'get it, or just plain don't want to sell it, why are they advertizing it? "Typically ships within 2 weeks" (yeah...right) All they are going to do is piss people off and lose business. I'm not saying I'm not going to shop for tools at Amazon anymore, but I'm sure going to think twice if it's something I need in less than 6 months.

<<< Snip >>>

Nope, I don't despise them- if it wasn't for Amazon and the other online/catalog retailers, I couldn't get 1/10 of the tools I want to have. Try and find a marking gauge (for instance) at the hardware store.
And, they've always been pretty efficient with my orders- I don't think I've ever waited more than 6 or 7 business days for anything, and I buy a lot of stuff from them.
Of course, it sounds like your experience has been very different.
I've been shopping from Amazon for many years and always had excellent service, no shipping errors and speedy delivery. Recently I signed up for an Amazon VISA and got $30 off my order. I order books, computer components, small appliances, DVDs, and tools. Most of the tools seems to be handled via third party companies which may be the cause of your delay. Amazon won't charge your credit card until shipment. I'm sure not everyone gets this kind of A1 service, but I'm a happy camper with Amazon. The Besseys are well worth the wait!!!

Not really. All my ordering business, (tools, electronics, books, dvds) has been very positive. I've ordered everything from single DVDs to miter saw and planers.
I do hate the skewed search engine results though. It's getting harder and harder to find stores other than amazon when searching now.

Jim K wrote:

Try a set of 13" Freud replacement planer blades... :)
Or almost anything else that isn't in the "top 100". :(