Can poly be put over Tung Oil?

Can poly be put over Tung Oil? I want to protect a jewelry box.

Reply to
durango

Yes, if you let the oil dry thoroughly. Figure a month to be safe. Then, with poly, you must scuff sand before applying. It's not something I would do and the manufacturer would almost certainly not bless it.

Why not just mix the poly and some BLO and apply with a rag?

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Tung and Linseed are curing oils. They also will mix with one another. If you put an oil-based poly over tung, it'll be fine. No scuffing needed, as the surface will have enough room to accept the oil in the poly.

Reply to
George

Yep, I have done it and totally agree with George. Just to make sure oil had cured, I in fact left it for 6 months.

Reply to
Bill D

Hmm, I think I might have procrastinated too long. It's supposed to be done by July 27th. Put the first coat on this morning.

Reply to
durango

Where does Swedish penetrating oil fit in this picture?

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Yes, but try Waterlox instead. It's a combination of tung/linseed oils and varnish. GREAT stuff.

Several coats of tung oil should be good enough, though, unless it's a shower jewelry box. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Better protection would be an alarm or a big dog.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Poly can go over tung oil nicely on a jewelry box. You might find a rubbing poly works best for you. If you put the poly on the big dog it might not go so well.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

durango wrote in news:130720051630553817% snipped-for-privacy@dodge.net:

Waterlox has a couple of options worth considering, for far less hassle.

C-less loves it, far more than poly. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

However, soy poly has greater clarity, less color, and offers greater protection than the phenolic.

Oh yes, even if the tung hasn't fully polymerized, the siccatives in the varnish will firm it up well.

Reply to
George

Thanks for all the advice?the dog is definitely out, though!!

Reply to
durango

Waterlox to the rescue! RUB, don't brush, it on. It should easily be dry by tomorrow (usually takes an hour to be dry to the touch) even over a coat of uncured tung, its driers/solvents blending it with the first coat. Let us know if you try it and how it works.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, as long as the oil is thoroghly cured. Especially important with water-based poly.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman