Anybody get the book?

Page 2 of 2
I just call them up and tell that ANY unsolicited packages arriving by mail ARE considered as gifts. If THEY want it back, they can pay me for my time and effort, otherwise, Thank you very much for the nice FREE book
NRA did this with a video a while back, and other than the person I was talking to on the phone NOT really understanding what the big deal was, gave no hassles over this approach
John

As editor and publisher, I don't believe Popular Woodworking is involved in this and wanted to get the word out that if anyone has any more details or specific information, I'd like to know in order to put an end to it. I also checked with our Woodworkers Book Club and based on the post, doesn't sound familiar to them. Maverick wrote:

a book.

Otherwise,
get
But,
the
there's this

have to

frame of

repackage
very

You could be very correct. The package had the names of Woodworkers Journal, Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking on it. As I only subscribe to Popular Woodworking, I doubt this would have come from any other source. But, if it did not come from your publication, please accept my sincere apology. But, I'm not going to keep the subscription anyhow. I just don't trust magazine folks anymore.
Maverick

I've learned that an employee here actually received the same book and offer in the mail yesterday. Let me just say that it is from a competitor of Popular Woodworking and leave it at that. It was a book for $9 with option to pay the $9, return it postage paid so another woodworker could get it, or, since it was unsolicited, just keep it. Maverick, I'd have to agree that this is a marketing tactic designed to confuse the recipient. It's also a practice Popular Woodworking would not engage in. And I wish you'd reconsider your subscription with us and not paint all magazines with the same brush.
Steve, Popular Woodworking Editor & Publisher Maverick wrote:

Journal,
source.
sincere
don't
any
put
based
subscribers
So, I

do.
just

Join the crowd, I just got a invoice from Woodworkers Journal stating "Welcome Back". I have never received one of their magazines. I tried subscribing once (several years ago), even filled out a subscription form and mailed it with a check. They obviously couldn't get the check out of the envelope (the check never cleared the bank) and proceeded to send me dunes for payment. I sent them a letter stating that I had sent a check and had no intension of issuing another until I was sure that the first wouldn't show up. They never acknowledged the problem or apologized, just kept sending ruder dunes which I just kept feeding my shredder. RM ~
What's a "ruder dunes"?
John Emmons

the
no

Sand hills that insult you or make fun of you when you fall off your dirt bike. :-)

Yeah, it's amazing how one or two magazine subscriptions can turn into 5 or 6 bills- I subscribe to Discover, Popular Mechanics and Woodsmith, and I get a bill from some other magazine at least once a month. Wood magazine keeps sending me invoices, as well as Popular Woodworking and a couple of others. But- I don't actually believe that the magazines have much to do with it. I ordered Discover and Popular Mechanics directly via the subscription cards that come in the magazines, and I don't get any bills for similar magazines- Woodsmith, I ordered from a magazine clearinghouse online, and I get deluged by offers related to woodworking. Seems to me it's the clearinghouse that is doing the sleazy work- not necessarily the magazines themselves.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

book.
<snip>
No, it's not sleazy at all. If you take the time to READ the "offer", they state that you do NOT have to return it, according to USPS law. You didn't order it so it's yours. They would LIKE you to return it but not required.
A very common marketing tactic. I get LOTS of free books that way <G>.
But, in fairness to PW - it's all explained in their literature that came with the book - which is an OK book BTW.
HTH,
Vic

I fairness to PW, they weren't the one who sent it. It was sent by Woodworker's Journal. Personally, I'm not offended at all. They can send me all the unsolicited books they want. I'll keep them all.
--
Hank Gillette

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:18:15 GMT, the inscrutable "Maverick"

Just Say No!
Please remember that you never have to pay to return something someone sends to you unsolicited. If they bill you for it, request a return postage label. Some places, like Amazon, have ways of doing this online. I was able to print one for returning the book in minutes.
Yes, the book clubs with their auto-shipping policies sucker millions out of unsuspecting customers each year. That tactic sucks, but if you don't stand up to them, it will continue to happen.
- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
I'm glad to see that Steve Shanesy stepped up, already. I'm almost positive this came from Woodworkers Journal, not Popular Woodworking. At least, the book that I got came from WJ. I also received several requests for payment even though I never ordered the book. Very sleazy and makes me think I may not want to continue my subscription to WJ. I keep expecting some kind of apology from them for this marketing approach. Phil Visit my Web site www.philsfun.com

<snip>
Reading all this with interest, I am highly offended at these tactics and the only way they'll stop is if you whack them a couple of times. It also struck me that here in NJ they have this consumer fraud statute which allows for treble damages and attorney fees, and this tactic seems to fall within its prohibitions. I wish they'd send one to me and then try to bill me for it; I'd whip up a lawsuit so fast and sue them for three times the $9 plus the fees of a lawyer acquaintance of mine (@$300/hr) just to make them hire a lawyer to defend the case. Let's see, about 3 hours to research and draft the complaint, another 4 hours for a summary judgment motion, 4 hours to appear and argue the motion....it all adds up.
Mutt
If they sent it to you and you did not order it, it's yours.

book.
this
of
repackage

You've got it. When my Mom was well along in her 80's she ordered a stamp catalog. They sent her a bill (aprox $25) for sample stamps that they claimed to have sent her. Mom didn't recall ordering or receiving any stamps. After umpteen statements demanding payment I sent the company a letter explaing Mom's age and that she didn't remember ordering or receiving any stamps but if they could provide me with tangible evidence that the stamps were indeed ordered and received I would gladly send them a check. They never responded to my letter but kept sending demands for payment, even had a collection agency (probably a fake) send demands. These demands went on for about two years then stopped. RM~
Maybe that's why I said this:

You are correct, total sleaze. However, don't send it back, it's yours. While living in CT a few years back, I had this with the infamous "Cue-cat" (If you don't know what this is, do a Google search, it's really quite funny) The local PO chief showed me an extract from his manual of regs and rules. If it's unsolicited, it's yours after some time. 30 or 90 days, IIRC. You don't have to do anything, except count the days.
Barry Lennox
I don't know, but maybe there's something in the terms and conditions of your subscription that allows them to do this and therefore implies that the book is not unsolicited. i.e. "We may from time to time send you items that we think might be of interest etc." or am I just paranoid.
--
Grumble

"Barry Lennox" < snipped-for-privacy@neverbox.com> wrote in message

Well they actually say on the form "Because you didn't ask for this special book, you don't have to participate or send it back".
--
Hank Gillette

It is a little sleazy, but it can be useful if the books are worthwhile. I'm not a subscriber to Popular Woodworking, so I didn't get that one, but I do subscribe to Woodsmith, and buy the books they send me every month or so. There's no real discount to doing it that way, but it's a nice easy way to build of my woodworking library, and they've come in handy a couple of times already. I guess the biggest difference in the strategy of the two publishers is that to get the monthy books from woodsmith, I had to actually fill out and mail in a card- they didn't just send it to me without asking. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam