Another on Hazardous Substances - slight OT

I've been getting a kind of secret thrill when I repair people's slate siding shingles, because they usually are the kind who can't afford a complete siding job and anyway don't want to get involved in the murky and possibly dangerous (legally and healthwise) world of hazardous substances. The original shingles do have a high asbestos content. The reason for the thrill is that I can offer them the choice of repair, ending up with some very happy customers. ("Didn't think they made those anymore!") GAF makes the shingles, identical to to the original only no asbestos, I believe the material is ferrocement. I haven't looked into local ordinances or checked with the EPA and was hoping to find out here if there is any controversy over what I'm doing in just replacing these shingles in small quantity, maybe as much as 2 squares on any given job. I'm sure there are rules at least concerning disposal, if not removal. The removal method by default doesn't involve much dust, because great care has to be used to avoid cracking the good shingles.

Reply to
BUB 209

I believe it is highly illegal for you to remove asbestos shingles for pay, unless you have the proper liecences to do so! I would not go around talking about it untill you know far sure! You may be talking to an OSHA or EPA employee and end up with some major fines! Whether it is one shingle or a whole house, it makes no differant to the government. Do your research!

On the other hand, most places allow homeowners to do their own asbestos removal. You just can not do it for someone else! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

How is OSHA gonna get involved if it's a one guy operation?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Here is a good place to start.

Jack

Talk to the gummint. In real-world terms what you're doing probably isn't putting anybody at any kind of risk, but in bureaucrat-world terms you're probably committing a crime more horrible than mass-murder. And unfortunately the bureaucrats are the ones who are going to arrest you and fine you and make they rest of your life miserable in countless petty ways.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My first step will be going to the town hall first. They could probably fill me in on OSHA, too. The guv-mint is the guv-mint, they didn't care if I was one guy when they socked me $5,000.00 for sloppy recordkeeping when my business was audited. Did you ever hear the story about the eagle feather that was in the suncatcher that some devoted fan sent to Hillary Clinton?

Reply to
BUB 209

OSHA might not but you are in violation of SARA title III rules and if caught are subject to being looked at by other government pests. SARA enforcement falls under the LEPC (Local Emergency Planning Committee ) which includes all local emergency service providers (fire, police, EMS, EMA (Local FEMA), Health dept., OSHA, etc. and local business reps,) all of which can enforce the rules under EMA guidelines. If found in violation of SARA Title III rules you are subject to $5000 a day per incident fines and each day starts a new incident while the previous days incident gets another

5 grand tacked to it.

You would not believe what SARA covers saw one old man fined $5000 for pouring motor oil on an ant hill.

You might check and see if your local community enforces SARA title III rules and to what extent, if is left very much up to locals as to what they do with the rules.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

I didn't post the original post. It was this person who keeps playing practical jokes on me. Honest.

Reply to
BUB 209

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust