Working Corian & Granite-like Substances?

I've got a customer who wants to drill holes in Corian and other synthetic granite substances. The hole size is 1-1/4" diameter.

Anyone know of a chart to figure out RPM, HP, Thrust or any other info?

Thanks for anything you can offer.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

Joe, most manufacturers of those products suggest hole-saws/core-boring. I use a carbide-tipped hole-saw with staggered teeth in a 1/2" drill (with a tail).

If I had to do a lot of them, and the space between the holes would allow me, I would use a plunge router with a 3/8" up-spiral solid-carbide and a 1/2" bushing/template combo. By far the fastest and leaves the cleanest hole. Dust control would be simple to achieve.

Core-boring and hole-saws are a PITA when it comes to removing the plug.

The speed depends on the shape of the teeth (in case of the hole-saw), sharpness and how well the chips were climbing out of the kerf. Acrylics have a nasty habit of melting and jamming the saws... so the word would be: SLOW.

Reply to
Robatoy

Context from anotner forum below... Any thoughts?

Agreed. I'm open to any tooling ideas too... As long as I can figure out HP, thrust, etc. I can put a greased automobile key into a chuck if that works for the customer. :)

The basic concept is to keep it as cool as possible so I'm thinking that a fluted hole saw or even spade drill-type tool would work best with water based coolant... See below for context based on a discussion with a DuPont person...

Ya know sumthin... I just tried that. Their web page:

't work... And when I called the number listed, the representative refused to take any technical details on the job unless I gave her a project name. I made one up and she basically refused to talk to me since she knew I was making a name up... Perfect example of what I call "urban attitude" and a really bad first impression. I'm gonna call again right now and see if I get less of an idiot on the phone... Just a sec...

Okay... Redemption. Received the name of a gentleman who represents DuPont on "special" Corian jobs. He was able to tell me it machines just like hard maple or hickory (too bad I can't use it in my smoker...)

It expands when worked and heated so keeping everything slow and cool is a must or use water-based flood coolant. It is not abrasive at all - about the same as talc.

So... Now the big question is... Will this work... I'm thinking 400 RPM,

1.5 HP, .010 feed and around 300 lbs. thrust...

I'll let you know! And if anyone needs lots of Corian or tech answers regarding working Corian, I've got just the contact for you... The guy is great. Just eMail me off-line.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

Ever check out Hougen Rotabroach tooling?

They make a hole saw with a plug ejection system. We have a way to make sure the plug pops out... But it's not cheap and we mostly sell it to people doing 3" diameter or larger holes in pipe. If your production numbers are high enough, I'd be glad to talk to you about how to do it with their tooling. You wouldn't have to buy a thing from me or anyone other than Hougen except for maybe some small parts.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

I had to cut some holes in my corian sink to go from a 1 hole to a 3 hole faucet. I was very apprehensive, but I stuck a sharp hole saw in my drill and cut away.

I was amazed at how easy it was; probably about the same as maple. I was warned to stop now and then to let everything cool off, and to set up a vacuum to catch the dust. Well, the saw did get hot, but the dust did not get airborne..

I was also told to cut half from each side to avoid chipping. I couldn't get at the bottom, and there was a little chip, but nothing serious.

So, my advice is to get a good hole saw and have at it.

Reply to
toller

A bit much. Me thinks. More like 80-100. easy does it. The stuff cuts itself..in that way, it is more like aluminum (aluminium, Andy). It's all about chip removal..and water isn't really needed when you back the tyhrust off.

Reply to
Robatoy