Tool powered by generator

I have a project coming up in a remote location where I must power my tools with a generator. Are there tools for which this is not a good idea? Are there other things I should know before I do this?

Reply to
peter

Wilson

Air compressors - which start under load once there's air in the tank, will require an adequate generator to restart them. My 2.0 KW unit will start a small compressor with no air in the tank, but cannot restart it. My 8 KW generator has no problem doing it, but gets very thirsty, as stated.

Table saws and other cutting tools which may bind up as the blade moves through thick or green wood may present a load which causes excessive voltage drop. Not good for motor life.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Yes. You likely normally need not worry, but you do want to know what size of generator you need for the tools you are going to use. Each draws different amounts of current. Check with the generator retailer or manufacturer.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Depends on the generator... For instance - a grinder or drill can overheat if the generator puts out a modified square wave, instead of a true sinewave. Look for one with that generates a genuine sinewave and match the watts/continous power to the tool/s. Also, they usually quote the PEAK wattage, which can only be sustained for a short time. Make sure the CONTINUOUS power is more than the tool/s need. Also get a quality earth leakage cutout.

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan

This is a generator, not an inverter. I've never seen a generator that wasn't a good sine wave

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My $.02 - keep the extension cords short and heavy.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

air compressors have a valve so they don't start under load when pressurized.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Peter, I use a Honda EX5500 in Mexico when I build houses for the poor. All of the general construction tools work fine. Most construction grade tools such as a Skilsaw, Sawzall, most drills and air compressors are designed for generator use. The only problem I have ever had was two different battery chargers, (one Dewalt and one Milwaukee) ruined the batteries when used to re-charge batteries. I have switched to the Milwaukee multi-bay charger and after a dozen trips, no problems.

TeamCasa

Ok - it's just I've seen some products called "generators" that used invertors.

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan