Ideas for permanent location for generator

Looking for ideas for a permanent location for our generator.

  • My husband is away working and I cant lift the generator, I have a baby to look after.
*The power can go off for days, and we do get snowed in, seems we are the last to get ploughed out, only people I see are snowmobilers. *A neighbours generator shut off one night during a outage in the winter he went to put gas in it and it was gone *In 2 feet of snow it is hard to find a level spot. *We have added a generator panel to the house and have 5000 generator.
  • We have a 10-20 ft shed but was told it wouldn't be wise to use it in there even with all the windows open.

I will need to keep snow away, keep it chained...:>))

Any ideas would help Thanks. CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee

These things can be LOUD. Might want to place it in its own little shed on the other side of where you would not like to hear it.

Also placing it in a little shed and getting a recreational vehicle generator muffler welded to the exhaust will reduce the noise quite a bit. You can also get a flexible long exhaust hose welded to the muffler to run outside.

Then you would need to refuel it. Might want to have it in a location where it would be easy to get to for refueling.

Also neighbors... Might want to locate it away from neighbors so far as noise goes if you don't quiet it down.

Reply to
Bill

Stolen? Or just buried under snow?

I would put it in the shed but extend the exhaust pipe to the outside. And a sturdy lock on the door.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

No need to worry about bothering the neighbors. The neighbors' power will be out, too, and the Music of Many Generators will fill the air.

Banty (BTDT, many times)

Reply to
Banty

"CathyLee" wrote in message news:RE%df.123978$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...

If your gen isn't on wheels you might want to consider that in the event that you choose to keep it housed in the garage. Of course, if there's snow on the ground it's still going ot be a bear to move. Consider setting it up in the early winter with a collapsable 'dog house' (hinged panels so that it can be collapsed and stored in the off-season) to protect it from the elements. Whe running it is going to need free movement of air to cool it. If it's completely encapsulated the trapped exhaust and engine heat will build up quickly. Since you obviously have unscrupulous neighbors about you may want to find something to chain it to. When our power goes out we don't leave the gen on all night anyway. Of course, we do use a woodstove so the heat is constant. The fridge and freezer can last overnight before being powered up. Also, if you plan to run your furnace off of the gen you need to be aware that many of these units put out power which is considered 'dirty' - not stable and a lot of backround junk in the current (I don't really know what that means) which is fatal for many of the new, computer controlled furnaces. An additional piece of equipment (rectifier??) is needed. I've read that Hondas are the best, but since my needs are simple I didn't go with them - just a cheap Coleman. Be sure that you read up on proper hookup to your house so that you don't endanger any linemen who may be trying to restore power. I have read that even throwing the 'main' in your box is no assurance that you can't get spillover and kill someone. Either use an extension cord (still not a good idea) or get a genset switching device and have an electrician install it. It isn't cheap but peace of mind and safety win out. My electrician wired a plug to the outside and made up a connector from the gen to the recpticle while he was there installing the switching device. I'm guessing here becase it's been

5 years but I believe the device was around $500 and the hook up was another $300-400.
Reply to
C & M

You can use a "power line conditioner". (Some UPS units (battery back-up) sold at office supply stores and computer stores come with a power line conditioner.) Power line conditioner...

Bill

I don't think a power line "conditioner" will help you if you buy a cheap unit that doesn't put true sine wave power

Reply to
Curmudgeon

A 10x20 shed is fine especialy in winter with the door open and if the proper retrofit is done to rout out the exaust , my 7500 watt is in a

8x10 shed. Or better is the gens own shed where walls open up. They put out alot of exaust heat, a fire hazard so it must be done right. Chain it to the floor. You need someone that knows how to safely vent the exaust
Reply to
m Ransley

Aren't there caveats or even warnings concerning additions or modifications to small engine exhaust systems?

Reply to
PanHandler

There were a bunch of people killed in Florida after the hurricanes from improper generator vent. Just read an article about one who was a retired mechanical engineer who knew not to put it in "enclosed space". He had it oudoors in florida room with the windows of florida room open. Ir ran out of gas, he went out to refill it and was overcome.

A few years ago, someone in our condo was using gasoline powered - compressor for pressure washing in the atrium that is roofed but open on sides. Our unit was closed up, with AC at opposite end of building, and yet our CO alarm went off. The CO alarm was an old one that hubby brought with him and didn't intend to use, as we have all electric.

Reply to
Norminn

According to Rich Greenberg :

I'd assume stolen. Stealing generators was quite popular during the ice storm up here. Even from hospitals and emergency crews - I spent an afternoon installing a replacement generator at the works garage (where the sanding trucks reload) after the portable 7Kw unit was stolen.

[The replacement was 200Kw. Nobody was stealing that... Tho, having the army coming in and being stationed in the yard undoubtably helped.]

As a short term solution, this'd work, but even then, it's probably not all that secure, and exhaust pipes cobbled up can leak. Fuel spills, fire hazard etc.

For longer term, having a small poured concrete slab, with heavy duty rings embedded (for chaining the generator in place), with a small "hut" for weather protection is ideal. Leave at least 6" opening at both the top and bottom of the hut walls, with at least 12" of clearance on all sides, more on top, and put a substantial overhang on the roof. A piece of sheet metal roofing is ideal.

Keep it clear of the house.

According to a volunteer firefighter I knew, there were a lot of CO poisoning close calls. Even the generator I saw chained to the center post between two open garage doors (attached garage) made me very nervous.

Reply to
Chris Lewis