Slight air leak on the duck.

Hi, Is there something like temperature stable putty I can use instead of duct tape to seal small air leaks on the duct? (screw holds, joints, etc.)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Aluminum tape is better

And I have to ask...is it a Canadian duck or Mallard?

Reply to
daytona°

Hi, I used Al tape. But for some cases tape is not much help. Mallard is more colorful. Lots of water fowls in front of my house. Bow river flows past my house. One of the best trout fishing ater.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There is a product called Thumb Gum....but really don't recommend for ductwork. The AL tape is nothing like the Duct Tape. Duct tape is a fiber material and the Al tape is thin metal substance...very sticky

Reply to
daytona°

Use duct mastic "DP1010". But it is approved for use on metal only, not flexible ducting. Around the plenum areas' you'll find start collars that leak tremendously more than some minor joint connections. Try locating this area, and sealing with duct mastic. Comes in a one gallon container and you can paint it on using a paint brush. Keep in mind the material is thick from the factory. Do not thin with water.

Aluminum tape is approved for use on duct board and such. UL181 approved tape is a better choice for flexible ducting. Come 120 yards to a roll. Do not use rubber backed duct tape without using mechanical bands. Home depot I believe does not sell UL181 tape. They sell a product they "call duct tape."

Reply to
Zephyr

Mastic Sealant

Reply to
<kjpro

Yeah Tony, there is: all the bullshit you spew can plug a lot screw holds, joints, etc.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Yeah, but he&#39;s looking for duck tape! I guess he wants a bill...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Duck tape is not all its quacked up to be

Reply to
Noon-Air

Zephyr wrote: Home depot

So try Lowes:

CJT

I just bought a half gallon of DP1030, UL 181 listed, Water Based Duct Sealant Says its for metal air duct, flexible duct, and fiberglass duct board It is a thick, gray material. I bought it to seal up some duct, which I assume are fiberglass duct board (They are boxy shaped tubes).

Reply to
RogBaker