alder vs pine for windows

I'm about to order new windows for our house. We are planning on staining the windows and would like an oak look. I'm trying to decide between alder or pine. I would like to know which one would look best when stained and which one might hold up better long term. The windows will be aluminum clad on the outside so I'm not too concerned about the outside.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Reply to
GeorgeKalopisis

Consider the rest of the trim in the rooms also. Will you be able to match the oak look with the trim you'll be able to purchase or won't that matter?

Many years ago I trimmed out a room with fir casing and baseboards because I was able to stain it to match the sliding glass door I installed. I recently replaced the windows in that room and the inside stops don't fit due to the thickness of the windows. I am no longer able to find fir window trim, so I either have to have it milled, figure out how to mix stains to make pine trim match or replace all the trim in the room.

Consider whether your choice of alder or pine will impact something else down the line. If you plan to stain the trim to match, then you better be sure you can get trim in the same species as the windows.

Reply to
DerbyDad03