OT: Little shop of horrors is no more. (a little gloat-ish)

Finally (mostly) moved to a larger place. A previous opportunity fell through after it became obvious that the landlord was an absolute nutbar. It explained clearly why that place hasn't been rented in 3 years. I was also going to have to foot the bill for rather extensive wiring in order to get some decent power into the place.

Now, this new place already has 600 volt 3-phase @ 100 AMP. I think I'm going to be okay for a while. Having that kind of power on tap, allows me to look at used equipment of an industrial nature. Transport drivers are going to be happy too as the access is drive in, drive out. Just under 1000 sq ft, will leave me tons of room for a 4-ft sliding table saw and a CNC. HVAC is natural gas and 3 years old, wooden floors. I figure I might as well throw together a few kitchens as well as concentrate on custom commercial jobs.

I guess I wasn't ever meant to retire. Retirement is highly overrated.

r----> who is happy to be turning another page.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you've got some more space. Gonna get that 'bot soon????? You're too young to retire.

Regards,

Rick

"Robatoy" carved

Reply to
Rick M

Congratulations ... it's great when an economy will support continuing endeavors. Good luck with the new place!

Reply to
Swingman

Robatoy wrote: | Finally (mostly) moved to a larger place. A previous opportunity | fell through after it became obvious that the landlord was an | absolute nutbar. It explained clearly why that place hasn't been | rented in 3 years. | I was also going to have to foot the bill for rather extensive | wiring in order to get some decent power into the place. | | Now, this new place already has 600 volt 3-phase @ 100 AMP. I think | I'm going to be okay for a while. | Having that kind of power on tap, allows me to look at used | equipment of an industrial nature. | Transport drivers are going to be happy too as the access is drive | in, drive out. | Just under 1000 sq ft, will leave me tons of room for a 4-ft sliding | table saw and a CNC. | HVAC is natural gas and 3 years old, wooden floors. | I figure I might as well throw together a few kitchens as well as | concentrate on custom commercial jobs. | | I guess I wasn't ever meant to retire. Retirement is highly | overrated. | | r----> who is happy to be turning another page.

Congrats! I'm happy for you - and glad you didn't get stuck with a landlord from Hell. I think you're going to be pleased (again and again) to have that kind of power available.

Morris Dovey

I have been toying with that concept. For years I have been claiming it was my 260sf shop that was holding me back; rather than lack of skill or ambition. With a good sliding table, a 12" jointer and a shaper... My wife has been daring me to put my money where my mouth was.

How many hours a week do you plan on working in it. How much a week is it going to cost you. How far from home is it. Just curious.

Reply to
Toller

40 hours with 3 people (+ a part timer). IOW, regular business hours.

Time will tell. The building itself is quite reasonable. Heat and stuff will add to that.

About 3 miles.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you.

Yes, I won't have to worry about popping breakers. But the real treat is being able to seriously consider a piece of equipment that nobody else wants because they don't have 3 phase.

Robatoy

Thank you. The economy in my field is doing quite well. I'm planning some controlled growth over the next 3 years. I'm not taking any wild gambles. That engineered stone (quartz) is doing well around here now that I can offer installation. No noise, no dust. Just pick it up and stick it in. One of those a month, and my rent is paid.

r----> you can't get to second base and keep one foot on first.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's still my plan. NOW I have a place to put one. I'm reading The Bot Forum religiously.

A man is only as old as the woman he feels.

Wait. What?

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Hmmm ... now why does that sound so "rehearsed"?

Ahh, been using it on SWMBO, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

So true. I have seen quality three phase equipment for sale at bargain prices at least a hundred times over the years. Apparently three phase power was much more available years ago.

They couldn't give this stuff away. Besides the power problem, the equipment was often very heavy and made of obscene amounts of cast iron.

I fully expect to hear about a mega gloat from your area soon.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That's my commute, as well. A nice bike ride!

**
**

B A R R Y

LOL... Naaaa, she pretty much trusts me with things related to the bizzniz. It's the 18" wheels and 4.2 litre V-8 and Quattro 4WD in the next station wagon I 'm having some difficulty with.

hehehehe

Robatoy

I sincerely hope you're right. *EG*

Reply to