Advantage of a sliding miter saw?

I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe $300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?
First ask yourself why do you need a sliding compound miter saw,if you are only planning on installing a hard wood floor.

Dan, perhaps this is just the FIRST project he'll use it for, and is thinking ahead to his needs to cut boards much wider than hardwood floor planks. I borrowed a 10" miter saw to cut 8+" wide boards one day, and found to my dismay that it wouldn't cut them in one pass. A couple days later, I became the happy owner of a 12" miter saw...
dave
Dan Parrell wrote:

I have the Delta compound miter as well as the Bosch sliding compound miter that ones my baby. I made a perfect station c/w rip fence cabinet and put it on wheels.Some of the advantages are precise laps joints and dadoes in thick stock.I bought the delta when I installed newel posts,balusters and hard wood flooring in my home but realized later on that it had it's limited uses.If I had my time back I would not have bought it,but then again it's great to drag out doors for other projects and it prolongs the life of the other more expensive saw. I guess to each his own.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have been pretty serious in WW for the last year. Made many hardwood projects, and figure this is my next tool. I thought the sliding feature was for larger capacity, and you all have confirmed my suspicions!
Thx.
Larry,
The sliding miter saw is better, obviously this is why the extra cost. For me as a "woodworker" I would rather have the slider but at the time regular was what I got. The advantage is you can cut the occasional wider board.
I have found out that the slider is better for me when I am doing "fine" woodworking. This enables me to make finish cuts on wider boards without the hassle of flipping the board and trying to line up the previous cut. For "rough" carpentry etc it is not a big deal since your tolerances are larger.
Will you be doing serious woodoworking in the future? Are any of your hardwood floor cuts beyond the capacity of the standard miter saw? The last hard wood floor I saw installed they used a skill saw. I was surprised.
Also Lowes is having a 20% off sale on saws this weekend only. Check it out.
My 2 cents. Sincerely, Rich
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

I'm thinking about getting this one for $144: http://www.suzyqshop.com/product.asp?0Q&1R&3187 -- Howard

That scares me. <G> The whole idea of a miter saw is accuracy. If it's not accurate, you might as well use a hand held circular saw and eyeball the cut.
Look around the 'net, you may be able to get a very nice, brand name saw, reconditioned, for about that or a few shillings more. PC, Delta, DeWalt, and Bosch all sell recons via dealers. I've never bought a reconditioned tool I didn't think was just as good as the new version, after one job. <G>
Here's some examples:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)> <http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/rectool.html
They come and go from most dealer's shelves, but with some diligence, you can get a good tool at a good price.
Barry
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
When I was shopping for a replacement I was convinced that I did not need a slide model. Well Idid get the 10" sliding model and I do not regret it at all. I find that it gets used more combined with table saw it sort of replaces a radial arm saw in most cases. I got the Bosch and have been buying Bosch ever since.
D.Martin
On 20 Dec 2003 11:37:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

The other advantage is the better range of angle mitre cuts - up to 60 degrees on the slider. I second the Bosch too. Prfer it over my friends DeWalt slider. Except for the damn dust collection. I think I have yet to get ANY sawdust it that bag...

I've not got one but the cheaper ones I've seen lack rigidity. A slight sideways pressure will move the saw and that will affect cut lengths. If you are going to get one check the sideways rigidity.
John