ADT router bits

Anyone familiar with the ADT brand router bits and willing to shed some light on their reliability?

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

Sounds like a Security Company. Sure that may not be CMT?

Reply to
Leon

only place iv'e seen them is ebay, and the price is about 80% off what any brand name bit cost. think i would pass on them. YMMV.

Keith

We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill

Reply to
asshat

"Leon" wrote in news:_6RXi.907$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

If your piece kicks back and breaks the window, will the ADT bit call the police?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I would remind you that the average router bit spins up to 27,500 rpm.

Do you want that tiny piece of carbide on the tip of that blade to come off in an unexpected manner ???

I believe I would stick with known companies that make router bits.

SBH wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I agree, but since I'm fairly new in the woodworking field, I don't know who makes good bits and who doesn't.

Reply to
SBH

I bought some from MLCS that seem to be okay as a starter set.

de2e

OK fair enough...

The biggest is Freud ....

There are many others but a short list would be

CMT Whiteside Porter Cable Amana Bosch

There are any number of people who import Chinese bits and relabel them.

MLCS Rockler Woodworker Supply

and many,many others.

You will NEVER go wrong buying a Freud router bit.

SBH wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

FIY none are imune, the first router bit I owned to ever throw a chunk of carbide was a Freud.

Reply to
Leon

Freud is indeed a good bit, but not in the same league with Whiteside. The preponderance of opinion seems to be that Whiteside is the best. And I'm hearing that from folks who use routers commercially even more than from hobbyists.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

In what way are they not "in the same league"?

I'll give Whiteside the edge on most for what I would term "value", but my personal "best" overall would tend to be Amana...I find edges more finely polished, etc. But, for similar bits, they're typically higher in cost than Whiteside and the differences aren't necessarily that great in performance unless compare on very gnarly, chip-prone material, say.

My Freud sets have certainly been quite similar imo...

Reply to
dpb

Just curious, does Infinity show up on your radar?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What about price cutter too?

Reply to
Dave

Definitely from China.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have some Infinity bits, the predecessor brand bits, Jesada, was a better bit IMHO. Actually the owner of Infinity was one of the kids that Jesada was named after. I think Infinity bits are farmed out to several manufacturers and made with the Infinity name on them. I would call Infinity OK but I have the same profiles in CMT and the CMT's are better IMHO.

Reply to
Leon

I once bought some stuff on-line and used an offer of a bunch of Hickory bits to fill up the order. I have posted this opinion here before, but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and longevity of the Hickory brand bits. Nooooo, they are NOT the end-all, but certainly great value. I use Amana when I can, Velepec when I can't, but my main supplier for straight/single-flue/spiral/solid-carbide bits is, and will be, Royce/ Ayr.... nothing like it anywhere. They also make the very best saw blade for solid surface money can buy.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm pretty familar with both lines and I have to disagree that Freud is not in the same league with Whiteside.

Whiteside makes a nice bit but "far superior" to Freud would be a giant leap to take.

The brands I mentioned are all ones that I have bought and used. I based my opinions on real world use.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

actually I think onsrud is the top. but they are more limited in what they sell. more cnc bits then anything else.

Reply to
Steve knight

Reply to
Pat Barber

They make router bits, too. I have several excellent Onsrud spiral bits.

**
**

B A R R Y