A funny student story about glue

Page 5 of 7

Using the carp odor as camouflage. There are two things that smell like fish....
On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:35:35 -0400, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

<giggle> Yeah, salmon is too close to carp for my tastes most often. If it's super fresh (caught and cooked within 8 hours), it's not bad.
I much, MUCH prefer Steelhead (aka Trout on Steroids.) With its moist, buttery flavor, it's delicious and delectable and worth the $5.99/lb!
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

white wine, lemon or lime juice, dill, and tarragon wrapped in alumium foil on the grill.

SWMBO's recipe amounts to rubbing some mesquite spice on a couple of salmon steaks, searing them in a hot pan (couple of minutes or so on each side), then adding a bit of water, cooking sherry, and covering -- to sort of steam and poach at the same time. Falls off the bone flaky, and doesn't turn out dry.
Regards, JT (salmon lover ...)
<snip>

Well, since we're already seriously OT, I'll go another step. SWMBO was the same way about corned beef until I cooked one @ home and got her to try it. She had never had any *real* corned beef, just the canned institutional variety. We have it fairly frequently now.
--
Nahmie

Go here for a good salmon recipe http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/recipe.htm

Was on a crew with five who loved to fish for a couple of years. We'd fly the night, land at 0430, and be on the big lake by 0630. We were trolling for salmon there, rather than walleye or pike in inland lakes. My wife refused to prepare the fish, even when it was presented as clean fillets.
One afternoon we were at the gunner's house helping build a table when his wife served salmon for dinner. SWMBO praised the food, and when the gunner's wife asked if we didn't have salmon through the season, she was astonished to learn that the fish I had been giving to my crew all season - because she wouldn't prepare it - were salmon, just like the ones in the can.
wrote in message

I agree the technology is there. I'm not so certain the food establishments are up to the 'translation'. There are few technical barriers to good Carolina-style barbeque, and yet, unless you bring the country boy as cook, what you get is something 'different'.
Las Vegas doesn't count. It sits inside a serious reality distortion field. ;-)
And yes, any generalization is just that. The Chinatown neighborhood often has the freshest and most diverse selection of fresh items.
So Ed, is it time to fire up the grill at your place yet?
Patriarch

That can be a problem. A few stores will keep the good product in the back walk-in until the half rotted stuff finally sells. At that point, the good stuff no longer is.

I've been keeping some of the oak, maple, cherry scraps for just that reason. I've been doing some grilling, but I've not done a long cooking brisket or pork butt on the smoker yet. Very soon though.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

wrote in message

After all, it takes three days for guests/fish to stink....
I too had been a costal dweller most of my life. I eat only fresh saltwater fish. We now live in the middle of the USA. You can almost be certain to find many varieties of "fresh" (packed in ice) saltwater fish in any reasonable size metropolitan "Chinatown." You can tell if a saltwater fish was frozen, packing in ice or caught within the last 24 hrs. by looking at the fish grills, eyes and slightly pressing the body.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:15:50 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

You're better off eating sushi that's been flash frozen and shipped long distances. 'Fresh' sushi in Japan is often contaminated with parasite eggs that will be destroyed if the fish is frozen for shipping.

Getting your own back for that eagle eating your liver every night ?

Seen on bash.org...
<green> We vegetarians love the environment. carnivores are sick freaks. <Frank> How can vegetarians possibly love the environment.. you keep eating all the f*cking plants
:-)
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:51:47 -0500, Prometheus

All you'd have to do is read "Fast Food Nation", and she'd win. <G>
I still eat plenty of meat, but only where I know the source. Fast food scares me for all kinds of reasons, one of which is the local handling of the food. I worked in those places in high school, and Horatio Sans in "Road Trip" had nothing on some of my coworkers!
The French toast scene in "Road Trip" is worth enduring the movie.
Barry
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:35:56 GMT, Ba r r y

Nope. I've got a hard and fast rule. If it tastes good and hasn't made me sick, I don't really care how it was made. I'm sure some worthless punk has spit in one dish or another I've eaten at some time, but since I can't tell, I'm not going to worry about it much.
FWIW, I haven't read "Fast Food Nation", but I have read "The Jungle", and if anything could put a guy off his feed- that'd be it.

There are only two fast food places that I'll eat. One is the McDonald's I worked at for a short time in high school, where the manager (who is still there) ran the cleanest restaurant I ever saw, and ruled the kids with an iron grip- and the other is the local Hardee's, which is staffed entirely by cute young girls. Nothing quite like having a pretty little thing hand you a 3/4lb burger... makes up for any uncertainty about the cleanliness of the preparation.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I used to have the same opinion. However, the British experience with big- business farming - the re-use of nervous tissue from diseased animals in the feed of healthy animals - has resulted in mad cow disease in people. The idea of some idiot contaminating feed similarly here is scary, especially since the incubation time of variant Jacob-Creutzfeld disease is years, not hours as in "regular" food poisoning. Elk-wasting disease in more and more deer is equally scary.
Nevertheless, Bambi tasted very well recently at Mohonk ...
--
Best regards
Han

BSE, CWD, Kuru, etc. , all seem to involve the same protein mis-fold noted in Alzheimer's, according to one published piece of research.
What you call "elk wasting disease" is called CWD, or chronic wasting disease. Colorado deer have had this disease for years (over 2 decades I believe), but not a single case of CWD has been found in humans, even those who eat CWD positive deer. The Wisconsin DNR is still making a big fuss over CWD in deer here, especially in the SW area of the state where there have been a large number of CWD cases, but its all to naught, IMHO
John