11/32 router bit

Page 1 of 2
Does anybody make a router bit for dadoes to fit 3/8" (nominal) plywood? I've checked: Whiteside Eagle America Infinity CMT Freud MLCS Woodline Rockler Grizzly Woodworker's Supply Price cutter
No luck
Max
Max wrote: | Does anybody make a router bit for dadoes to fit 3/8" (nominal) | plywood?
Max...
If you have (or are willing to buy) a 3/8" collet, you can order an 11/32" solid carbide end mill from http://www.kbctools.com . Part numbers are:
1-428-SEM343-2 11/32 with 2 flutes 1-428-SEM343-3 11/32 with 3 flutes 1-428-SEM343-4 11/32 with 4 flutes
They're all listed at US$23.24
<insert standard disclaimer>

<displaying my ignorance here, no doubt>
Those OK to run at router speeds (25Krpm) ? I was under the impression that milling machines ran at considerably slower speeds, and would hesitate to use a mill in a router.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:
| || If you have (or are willing to buy) a 3/8" collet, you can order an || 11/32" solid carbide end mill from http://www.kbctools.com . | [snip] | | <displaying my ignorance here, no doubt> | | Those OK to run at router speeds (25Krpm) ? I was under the | impression that | milling machines ran at considerably slower speeds, and would | hesitate to use | a mill in a router.
Doug...
They generally work at least as well as router bits, are more consistantly sharp, and frequently cost less. Nearly all of the end mills in my catalogs are labeled "center cutting", which means you can plunge straight down.
Of course you can have any profile you want so long as it's straight. :-)
I thought the same thing a couple of the guys on a CNC ng told me about some of the larger faster mills that cut metals at feeds and speeds make 25kRPM sound pretty slow. There're some pretty scary machines out there!

Yeah, but your typical router doesn't include a cooling fluid deluge system and a wrap-around safety enclosure like these big CNC machines do.
Roy Smith wrote:

Nor does it need them. 25K is well within the safe rpms for these tool bits. Just be careful ... they tend to be razor sharp when new.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

You are correct. End mills are basically the only bits I've used in a plunge router for the past few years. It is the only type bit, AFAIK, sold for use with the Multi-Router, which uses a router of your choice to drive the boat.
You turned me on to these guys: www.kbctools.com
And, for the OP, I've also had good luck with spiral upcut, two or four flute, "end mills" of extra lengths, available for deep mortises, they are often cheaper. Last time I ordered, the 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" 4 flute end mills were $16, $19, and $27 respectively.
www.travers.com
PDF of their catalog online at:
https://www.travers.com/htdocs/catalogs.shtml
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Useful to know.

Just like the Model T Ford, eh?

--
Regards,
Morris Dovey wrote:
| If you have (or are willing to buy) a 3/8" collet, you can order an | 11/32" solid carbide end mill from http://www.kbctools.com . Part | numbers are: | | 1-428-SEM343-2 11/32 with 2 flutes | 1-428-SEM343-3 11/32 with 3 flutes | 1-428-SEM343-4 11/32 with 4 flutes | | They're all listed at US$23.24
I also found one at http://www.use-enco.com that you might want to look over
p/n 619-1298 11/32 with 2 flutes for $16.94 (also with 3/8" shank)
| <insert standard disclaimer>

Thanks, Morris. I should have thought of end mills. Duh. <G>
Max
AS always, Lee valley has some. Look here; http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pI888&cat=1,46168,46171&ap=1
You may want to check the currency - my links are set for $CAN and you may want USD - even cheaper.

Doug Brown wrote:

I didn't see any 3/8 inchers there.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Max wrote:

If you can't find/don't want to buy here are a couple of solutions...
1. Make a square router plate with the edges at varying distances to center; for example, -1/32, -1/16, -1/8. Use a 1/4" bit and the widest side of the plate for pass #1 then turn router so appropriately narrower side is used to guide for additional passes.
2. Make a 1/4" dado and rabbet the ply as necessary. My favorite as the shoulder on the ply tells you when it is fully in the dado.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

3.) A parallel sided dado jig, known around here as "Leon's Jig", used with a 1/4" bit. The jig adjusts to the thickness of each piece of plywood. It's even self-squaring. Line up the jig to what will be the top of each shelf, and let the bottom of the dado fall where the ply thickness tells it to.
Here's one version: <http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dado.html

That's the process I've been using but I figured *someone* must make a bit for 3/8" ply. Morris tipped me off to an end mill and I think it will work.
Max
Hi,
    Amazon has a two sets of plywood sized bits from Freud, # 89-650 & 90-106.
    Same set at Woodworker supply: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 7-051
Thanks, Roger Haar Tucson, AZ
Max wrote:

But, But, I can't find the 11/32 bit by itself and I just bought a set of 3 bits for 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" ply from Infinity. :-(
Thanks,
Max
Max wrote:

Freud 16-096
http://freud-tools.stores.yahoo.net/freudmorbit.html
Took about 10 minutes, max... :)
Did you try Amana Tools and/or CMT?
Might fire a note off to John Wirth and Woodworkers Supply -- he's always looking for "stuff" to add. Printed catalog only shows down to 1/2" nominal for his undersized ply set, but mine is old and didn't look online...
"dpb" wrote

Tried Amana *and* CMT, but in my haste I might have overlooked, or didn't look long enough. :-(
The Freud has been ordered. $15.11. But with "shipping", it's $25.07 Would someone tell me how an item like a 11/32 router bit could cost $9.96 to "ship"? But, thanks, it does solve my problem. And I will send a note to Wirth.
Max