Fluting router bit

I'm wanting to "carve" some vertical 3/8" (or 1/2") flutes in shelf corbels for lots of shelves. The cross-section of these flutes will be like a circular sine curve. I want a router bit with a semicircular end, like a core box bit, but with a quarter-circular wing on each side, like a rounding over bit. Although somewhat flatter than this severe section that I have described. Thus a core box bit and a round-over bit would be unsuitable, even if I could get the accuracy in three passes for every flute. Anyone have any ideas where I might find a suitable bit? I've looked at many sites without success. I would have guessed this profile was common, until I started searching.

Reply to
Moosh!

Are you using this on the corbel or the shelves, ?? If it is the corbel would it be the front edge or the sides ??

If i understand you the bit you are looking for is a standard bit that can be used for the shelve edge and the side of the corbel as for the front of the corbel, well you may be out of luck.

How thick are the corbels and are they made yet ???? If you can sketch it out and have a scanner e-mail it to me and i may be able to help you out. I did do the front of some miniature corbels that came out pretty good

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:19:11 -0700, "George M. Kazaka" posted:

The corbels or shelf brackets are not made yet. The shelves will be 13" wide (5' long) and go between chimney and wall in 6 alcoves I have. (Maybe six shelves per alcove.) The corbels (or shelf brackets) will be 12" long, and 1.5" thick at the top (that supports the end of the shelf) and about 4" in the vertical dimension. The fluting will be vertical(ish) on the 4" x12" face away from the wall and this face will slope from the 1.5" thick immediately under the shelf, to about 1/2" thick at the bottom 12' edge.

So there will be about 12 flutes. I was planning to try with straight flutes, but I may try very slightly curved flutes by doing this with a little aluminium trimmer sliding over a curved track that I could make.

Reply to
Moosh!

Moosh maybe the terminology is getting misused and or misunderstood, I think I understand you up to where you say it goes to 1/2" at the bottom.

Do you possibly have a scanner to sketch and e-mail to me what you are trying to accomplish ??? also e-mail me direct and we can go back and forth to get it understood,

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:38:58 -0700, "George M. Kazaka" posted:

Thanks George. I've put a couple of thumbnail sketches over on abpf. Should make things clearer. Perhaps my unusual need to put shelves in an alcove is the problem in conveying the picture.

Reply to
Moosh!

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:28:05 GMT, Moosh! posted:

I've added yet another better sketch of the router bit I'm chasing and a cross-section of the fluting I want to do a lot of. Anyone put a name to and source for this bit that I thought would be as common as.....?

Reply to
Moosh!