1/4 drive in hitachi m12v?

Page 2 of 2
That's news to me. Never been there but working with the British army back in the 80s led me to believe that flashlight wasn't a generally used term.

CW wrote:

The term flashlight is not generally used as torches is the common word in the UK for it,but if you went into any store that sold torches and asked to see a range of flashlights they would know instinctivly what you're asking for.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thanks for the clarification.

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:44:55 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Nope they will send you off to the plumbing tools.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Most likely, they'll hand you something that creates heat with propane or butane... Mac
It's also a good idea to keep a torch in your boot.
John wrote:

Wouldn't that burn your feet?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:30:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) wrote:

very true! you might need it to check under your bonnet... Mac
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I used to think this was an urban legend--surely nobody was that ignorant.
However, about 6 years back I worked tech support for the local cable company. I actually had pretty much the above conversation with a guy who called wondering why he couldn't get a picture on his TV. I had to put him on hold while I cracked up...
Chris

Chris... on at LEAST 3 occasions, I've diagnosed major computer problems (In professional offices), as the monitor being turned off by energy conscience cleaning people at night... The world is full of technopeasants and if it wasn't, we consultants would have to go find real jobs.. *shudder* Mac

One time I got a call, the guys computer wouldn't run. So I took him through the basic trouleshooting step by step. It was basically totally inert. He was absolutely positively certain the thing was plugged in--in fact he was irate about this.
So I drove four hours out, on the clock the whole time, on his dime, walked in, plugged it in, powered it up, and drove back, still on his dime, and billed him a 1100 bucks for the service call.
petebert wrote:

And ... let me suggest that with a powerful routah like that, it'd take a very minor "oops" to have it snap off a 1/4" shank. I'd stay conservative with depth of cut and feed rate.
HTH, J

I wouldn't recommend going with the 1/4" shank if your router is capable of 1/2". 1/4" are prone to breaking, especially in a router the size of the M12V. You don't want a flying router bit in the shop. Check out MLCS woodworking and get their anniversary set. Decent bits, not a lot of money. Great to learn with.
I have one of those routers. 1/2" shafts are more rigid and you will generally be happier with them (less vibration, etc.), but if you do use the 1/4" collet, be sure to align the slot in the 1/4" collet with the slot in the 1/2" collet mounted to the shaft. If you don't it is very hard to get it tightened properly and you risk having the bit move while in use, with poor results at a minimum, and too much excitement if the bit comes loose.
Another point about the M12V. I don't know if Hitachi fixed it, yet, but the model I have does not have an overload protection circuit built in, thus, if I jam the bit somehow and fail to get the motor shut off instantly, I risk letting out the blue smoke (which makes the motor work).