Will No-Nails hold electrical boxes?

scart is well recognised as being crap in a number of respects, both mechanically, and from a signal integrity point of view. The mechanical issues are one of the reasons there is a move to using locking version of the plugs etc.

It is also recognised that for the highest quality displays, especially with progressive scan sources, that component video is the way to go. Most equipment that can output progressive scan signals will not do so over their scart connectors anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd say component is well past its sell by date in these digital days.

Nor am I clear what advantages it offers over RGB + separate syncs. Except when use as intended with restricted bandwidth difference signals on analogue gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, if you can stay all digital all the way through then fine. Although that tends to bring lots of DRM related baggage into play as well (with HDMI anyway).

In theory not much - only that RGB is usually only on scarts, and then usually not progressive scan. Component cables tend to be a little more consistent in quality as well I suppose.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you design electronics with a 20 year life you will soon find out how bad gold- tin/lead is.

Reply to
dennis

Plenty of domestic connectors will give trouble long before that - regardless of the plating.

But surely very few connectors indeed use a solder coating?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did. The corner cut off encompasses all of one short side. This results in .... 4 sides.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Right. A mere 80 cuts then

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A lot more because of the rebating and stop chamfering.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Depends what sort of connectors you are talking about. There are loads that are available with tin plating (not as much lead these days) and it's often an option to choose between tin or gold with different plating thicknesses available for different uses.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq