Will No-Nails hold electrical boxes?

Hi all, a few questions on No-Nails and the like please. I'm installing a couple of TV aerial sockets into a brick wall. I've made the recess into the bricks. It's a 1960's brick/brick cavity wall BTW and the aerial lead is going inside the cavity. I'm wondering if No-Nails would hold the metal boxes in the holes. Has anyone used No-Nails for this? Do you think Gripfil would hold better on the slightly uneven brick surface? Finally, I've seen a product called Pink Grip or something like that. How does this differ from No-Nails? Thanks

John

Reply to
John

CarBodyFilla is your friend. Or epoxy mortar..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gripfil and the rest will probably slide around a bit too long to allow you to get the box flush with the wall easily. I prefer to position the box with a couple of blobs of car body filler and fill later.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Blimey, beaten to it by the president of the body filler fan club :-)

Andy might prefer Aunty Betty's Aerial Socket Filler, which comes with a colour co-ordinated range of protective clothing and full technical support.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Normal thing to use is quick set mortar. You'll get ready mixed bags of it at most sheds and electrical wholesalers.

Dave Plowman (News)

I imagine the OP might have knocked through to the cavity to run the cable and will be relying just on the sides for adhesion. If it's a neat hole there may not be a lot of room for cement or plaster to get a grip.

Car body filler will set you free. Find true salvation today!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sorry but car body filler has no structural strength what so ever for such a task, talk about being attached by a wing and a prayer! What's wrong with a screw and packing (if you've chopped out to much masonry?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Am I doing something wrong using screws and wallplugs to hold my boxes in? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That was a bit unkind. What's Aunty Betty done to you?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another convert to the RUCBF club.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A true convert.

Are we going to have Come to David's meetings?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've not knocked into the cavity, just made a square recess into the brick. Even if I say so myself, it's a nice neat job. The hole is a snug fit and the right depth for the box. Took me ages to do mind and it might yet break apart when I drill the cable hole. Those bricks are b***y tough.

I'd not thought of car body filler which is surprising having rebuilt many 1960's car wings, doors, boots, etc. I thought of No-Nails as the box fits the hole so well. There's only a couple of mm clearance at the worst point. The quick setting mortar looks like the thing for me though. I've not come across it before.

John

Reply to
John

Yes, bring your credit card

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is that Isopon or Plowman?

Reply to
John

You don't need structural strength, you're only holding the thing in place. The reason bonding plaster is used is that it's easier to position the box accurately. Put a few coach bolts in after it sets if it's going to trigger an anxiety attack

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Do you take Amex?

Interestingly, B&Q does, but Wickes doesn't.

Implication is that B&Q prices are at least 3-4% high if they can fund that out of margin.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Isopon definitely. Mr. Plowman is far too modest to want to be the Billy Graham of the DIY world.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You might get away with it for light switches etc. but when someone tries pulling the plug from a socket with 'very healthy' contact wipers - I've seen more than a few times where someone has though they can glue a backing box in, only top find the plug, socket and backing box come away from the wall in their (or some else's) hand and be left dangling by the cable(s)!

Reply to
:Jerry:

No, it says too much about me that cash can't

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes. Only works in Scotland with the granite walls.

Reply to
Andy Hall