Push Fit Waste Pipes

Do I stand any chance of getting some 1.5 inch (38mm) waste pipe and fittings in brown?

An elbow has rotted in the sun and the pipe is also looking a bit grainy.

I can only find 40mm in white, grey or black. I don't really want to change and have to make my inside fittings adapt.

Incidentally - how come builders never seem to be able to plan to but the outside gully trap directly below where the sink waste emerges - necessitating a pipe at an angle? Apathy??

Reply to
John

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:58:00 +0100 someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

I have only seen brown in rainwater goods, or underground pipes. However, you can paint pipes any colour you feel like, though this adds some more maintenance.

Reply to
David Hansen

Bartol used to make push fit waste in a pseudo copper colour that is pretty close to brown. Dunno if it still available.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Maybe to stop smells drifting directly upwards into your waste pipes?

Reply to
John Whitworth

You can get 40mm in brown, but I don't know about 38mm

Alan Braggins

They don't care too much for apathy.

Reply to
1501

In message , John wrote

Car paint spray? - in multiple light coats.

Reply to
Alan

I bought a white elbow and fitted it inside - this allowed me to put the one from inside on the outside. The ones with a screw ring seem to accommodate

38 - 40 mm.
Reply to
John

If you can find it, use the old style solvent based gloss paint, top coat only. The solvent dissolves into the surface of the plastic, and there's no way it will ever come off. I also discovered the paint acts like solvent weld if you push some just-painted fittings together, except the weld was instant with no chance to reposition the parts.

I don't think brown pipework is UV proof, so you'd need to paint it anyway, in which case it doesn't matter what colour you start with.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There's plenty of unpainted brown guttering and downpipes about.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I'm sure that UV is the problem - but the house was built in 1988 and it gets the sun on the pipe for most of the day. Can't complain. Just wish the replacements were readily available.

Reply to
John

Hi Reminds me of the 'Bardsley' boxes a well known NW builder used 38mm waste in a chocolate brown .It was custom made for them deliberately (i am told) to stop other plumbers doing repairs or nickin' it from site. Believe Barrets also took up the idea. I know it doesn't help much but as already posted a 40mm compression fitting does seal onto it ,trouble is I have only seen white grey & black. BTB if you are in NW I think Bardsleys still carry the stock .

CJ

Reply to
cj

"Bardsley" boxes reminds _me_ of "Bardic" boxes which were a cast aluminium/alloy cavity wall box designed to fit flush into the outer leaf of a cavity wall. They are (were?) widely used in the telephony/CATV field to house interfaces (blocks terminal or CATV taps (or even UHF distribution amplifiers!)) between external PE cable and internal PVC/LSOH cables.

Typically they were about a brick and a half in length and 3 bricks high. The gubbins were simply stuffed (carefully!) into the box/cavity. I'm sure that nowadays they'll be totally banned (by the EU) on account of the heat loss in that bit of cavity wall...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

AIUI, polypropylene (PP) pipe is not UV stable and must be painted.

OTOH, uPVC and ABS wastes have good UV resistance and don't have to be painted, although they usually look better if they are. ABS solvent-weld seems to be the most commonly used type of waste now.

Reply to
Andy Wade