What DIY suprise did Santa bring you then?

My favourite was Norton AntiSpam - about 90% sucessful so far. Hubby's was a set of tiny weird head shaped screwdrivers for destroying compter innards. He *always* has a screw left over after reassembly.
So what did Santa bring you then?
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:11:32 UTC, "Suz"

I put in Bogofilter (free) three days ago. It seesm to have got to about 95% so far...but learning well!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

'scuse my ignorance but is Bogofilter available for mere mortals using windoze. I'm not a computing expert but I hate spam. Currently I use mailwasher but it does not seem to 'learn' about my email tastes leaving far too much crap in the 'normal' classification
--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

Well, I was sure I saw a Windows version floating around, but I can't find it now! Have a search...it's working even better for me today!
(I don't use Windows at all, so can't help...but I'm sure someone else will be able to)
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

Thanks Bob, I've googled for <windows bogofilter>without success. Hopefully someone else my know the answer.
Regards
T'other Bob
--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:37:58 +0000, Bob Minchin

I found Mailwasher PRO was hogging the cpu and the end of the 30 days trial came around so I couldn't investigate further.
I've been trying spam interceptor www.si20.com it's a free service which seems to get over 99% of spam, it works well and is very fast.
However for some reason it let's through some, at least, of those "Microsoft security update" worms, viruses etc. It would be dead easy to set a filter to get those (I'd already done it in mailwasher) but I'd have to use Spam Interceptor's paid for service at $9.99/yr to do that so I'll wait and see what Demon Internet's free offering is like in the new year.
DG

You could always buy a license.

Goodness gracious! For the first year only a cost of about 50p per month, less than 2p per day, and free every year after that, and it's not worth stopping the spam?
I'm always surprised that people expect to be able to use software forever without paying the authors for continued development and support. And those self same people find the thought of going off to work and not being paid for it to be objectionable..... :)
I suppose I do object to the prices charged by the likes of Microsoft and other major players, but for the little guys who spend enormous amounts of time producing quality software I don't think it's too much to ask for them to earn something for their efforts.
PoP

Agreed. I hadn't noticed the CPU time issue you refer to.
Shovelware, tell me about it. There's a lot of that stuff about. Though usually you get the general idea before downloading from the quality of the web site, if indeed there is a web site for the product at all.

I guess I might consider it if they were to stop the spam ;)

No, no, no, you have the wrong idea. I'm trying to sell you on the idea of shareware, not the other way around ;)
Timeshare, pah! Snake oil salesmen! ;)
PoP

Ten dollars (OK, 9.99) is about 6 pounds. Divide by 12 and that's 50 pence. Divide that by 30 and that's less than 2p/day.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

address is not exact, using the heuristic filter for *probable spam* and the blacklist; just press - while the header is highlighted; does a good job of sorting.
Plus the clever ones download mail before sorting; I never get an email I haven't authorised, and it only takes a couple of seconds and usually (sigh) my email prog never gets opened.
Older versions of free M/W do multiple mailboxes too.
I have yet to find a better prog for my lifestyle
mike r
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:37:58 +0000, Bob Minchin

http://keir.net/k9.html
free and works well.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Workshop Vac (PowerPro), with power take-off. Now I can work indoors without getting shouted at!

A compound mitre saw to make a mess indoors and get shouted at!

I got one of those but had to pay for it myself cos I aint got anyone to shout at me-Thank God :-)) STuart yesterday is history
tommorow is a mystery
TODAY is a gift
thats why its called the present

I got one of those but had to pay for it myself cos I aint got anyone to shout at me-Thank God :-)) STuart
" YESTERDAY is history
TOMORROW is a mystery
TODAY is a gift
That is why it is called the present "
"Suz" wrote | So what did Santa bring you then?
He didn't leave any presents, but some heavy bugger sat on the settee and broke two of the springs early on christmas morning, and I'm blaming him because it definately wasn't me.
Owain
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:52:21 -0000, "Owain"

He was probably taking a break to shag one of his little helpers and used your settee. Did you not hear them ??? :-) Stuart

20" cooks knife - awesome bit of kit - and a pestle and mortar.
For when lunch is a DIY event :-)
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:11:32 -0000, "Suz"

What looks suspiciously like a small pool of dried rodent urine in a close mounted ceiling light bowl directly over the breakfast bar. :-(
DG
Suz wrote:

Well I wanted one of those things you fix aeroplanes with for Christmas, a MIG welder! But all Santa brought me a pair of socks.