What channels did you lose?

So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna. Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

Me? Just CBS. No big loss. :) I'm not sure if all the new wacky foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20 miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.

Reply to
mike

mike wrote: ...

All of them, for the most part.

Interestingly enough, the morning after _the_big_switch_ a rescan found all three networks plus the PBS that had disappeared after _witching_day_1_ so all seemed well. That was roughly 8-9AM, played for a few minutes switching back and forth and turned it off.

At 6-ish PM for local news/weather, nada/zip/nothing except the one network that had also made the earlier switch that had been receiving well. It was barely strong enough to lock w/ a lot of drop out and audio near useless.

Been that way since...no weather to foul up the antenna, so I've no real clue as to why seemed ok initially and then went away. Neither, apparently, do the stations who have received similar complaints I gather from quite a sizable number.

40-60 mile range, flat country...

--

Reply to
dpb

I lost ALL of them. I used to listen to TV on my portable radio. So now what am I supposed to do, get a converter box for my Sony portable radio? Even the FM TV is gone! No more Judge Judy/Judge Joe Brown. LOL

Reply to
Phisherman

I frequently lose Channel 13 in the Pearland, Texas area and have to rescan.

Not sure if it is a converter issue or the station itself. I found that an old Radio Shack outdoor antenna picks up all channels great.

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea77581

I actually *gained* MHz and Ion after the official switch over. Didn't lose any that I could previously receive.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nothing changed here, I still have the same two stations and six channels I've had for the past year and a half.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4a369d2c$0$31404$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

I didn't lose any,gained several,along with subchannels. One subchannel is worthwhile,all older movies,and fewer commercials. I'm using a homemade coathanger wire quad bowtie from plans on Make TV.Cost $5,has excellent signal levels,even indoors in a stucco/mesh building.

Some stations had troubles during the switchoff; Local Ch.2(NBC) was unwatchable for the first several hours,but cleared up once they fixed something.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Where exactly is this antenna plan? Link? Any plans for a decent attic mount one?

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4a36be23$0$31373$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it in the attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

limited.usenetmonster.com:

Yeah, I got some new channels, too. That is a good thing, because I cannot bring myself to pay for TV (or parking).

You must live very close to the transmission towers. I had to install a huge antenna 10 ft. above my roof. The attic antenna wasn't cutting it.

Reply to
mike

Jim Yanik wrote: ...

How far from transmission towers???

--

Reply to
dpb

I built the same one just for the heck of it since I have cable. I wanted to see what was available if the cable was out (it has been known to happen.

I got the major networks and a couple of indies. I did not get any PBS stations. Most of the stations I did get are 40-50 miles away. Nice flat Florida terrain.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I lost none and gained at least 15. Im 12-15 miles from stations with a room antenna, look into a good outside antenna. Several sites have an antenna program that will tell you what you need by your zip code. Many stations are split into 3-4 channels, you should get more than you had before.

Reply to
ransley

mike wrote in news:c03c9ed9-158a-4f79-8ed2- snipped-for-privacy@z16g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Never had a converter box. Have an econo WalMart 27". Been watching DTV for some time. Few new ones came in after 6/12. Not quite sure why but even many of the the stations that came in, on digital, did not come in until I rescanned. Ater 6/12 a couple of network stations posted they would be transmitting at a reduced power for a bit. Didn't catch how long or why.

Pre & post switch, I've found DTV to be weather (I assume) sensitive. I don't mean bad weather either.

Reply to
Red Green

On 6/15/2009 9:15 AM mike spake thus:

Ch. 7 (ABC) in the S. F. Bay Area. Anyone else here know what happened to them? Their website says they switched from VHF to UHF, but haven't been able to pick them up even after several rescans.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Have a set in my shop and one in the kitchen that are both on rabbit ear type antenna. Both had trouble getting a good analog signal without a lot of snow and spotty reception on digital. Had to rescan after the conversion and now pickup a couple of additional digital channels with all of the digital channels comming very clear without signal loss now. If I lost any channels, they weren't ones that I wanted to see anyway.

Reply to
BobR

On Mon 15 Jun 2009 09:15:39a, mike told us...

We're on cable, so there was no interuption or channel loss. However, some of our neighbors not on cable have had serious problems. In our area both distance and mountains would be major factors.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Red Green wrote: ...

Ayup...found it's worthless if there's any significant weather between transmitter and antenna which makes the severe weather broadcasting pretty much a lost effort for most of the areas that need it...

--

Reply to
dpb

"Charlie" wrote in news:h16l4v$ngl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I'm just north of Orlando/Winter Park,and I get PBS Ch.15 WDSC from Daytona Beach,and PBS WMFE Ch.24 in Orlando.

18.2(WKCF subchannel) is "This Network",shows older movies,it's pretty good.
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I posted the first time on "transition" day. I just tried again and get two PBS stations along with 3 or 4 substations for each. I am just south of Sarasota so I get most stations from Tampa/St.Pete and Fort Myers.

Surprisingly, or not, I picked up two analog stations. One is Hispanic and the other religious. Both are snowy and obviously are in the category of low power stations that did not need to go digital.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie