Washing Machines - what make ?

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)
Cheers
Jim
-- Remove BRAIN before replying

<Troll>
Dyson.
</Troll>

Heh heh. I called into my local Curries to pick up some bags for my Panasonic vacuum. Naturally, they didn't have any despite having several of the machines that use the same bag on sale.
But what they *did* have was a vast display of Dyson spares. All I've ever bought for the Panasonic in over five years apart from bags is a belt and bulb...
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

But the Dyson spares come in such pretty colours!
--
A. Top posters.
LOL! :)

Take Care, Gnube {so, do YOU know anyone who won the Readers Digest Draw?} 4e-mail replace spamtrap with usenet
Be my guest. I stole it from someone else. :)
--
A. Top posters.
JimM wrote:

I have had personal experience to two Siemens machines that have been totally trouble free. One must be over 10 years old and based on that I bought one about 3 years ago for myself. Prior to that I had had Creda for 18 years and a s/h indesit for about 7 both of which needed odd jobs doing but nothing serious. I do my own repairs so don't mind a little effort every now and then. If I were paying for call out of the repair man, I might have felt less sympathetic to the repair needs. I do note that Siemens spares seem to be a little dearer and maybe they are a bit more difficult to get. Many people swear by Miele but the original prices are high and I suspect spares dear too.
If you get the opportunity to look inside, I'd suggest a machine with a metal outer tub (stainless steel ideally) would have a better chance of changing bearings rather than a plastic moulding.
I expect our resisdent, helpful ex repair man would have the best view on reliability/ease/cost of maintenance.
Bob

Miele.
Go and take a look at one in a store and compare the construction with anything else.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
writes

Yep despite what the two cheap machine merchants might say:-=))..
--
Tony Sayer

It has been noted here in the past that very reliable machines can be a pig to get spare parts for! So perhaps reliability should not be the only criterion.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
| I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any | particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being | better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable) | | Cheers | | Jim | | | | -- | Remove BRAIN before replying | don't never, ever buy a Hoover.
rpm

I think with the cheaper machines you may be lucky and get a good one, but you may be unlucky and get something that breaks down regularly. Most manufacturers only offer 1 year guarantee, and you try getting SoGA invoked on a 2 year old cheapy. Bosch offer a 2 year warranty, but the purchase price is also higher. Hoover's 5 year parts warranty seems ok until you realise they charge 80 call out...that's where they make the money. A handful of manufacturers make most of the cheapy machines, and seem to cut costs where they can. Miele on the other hand charge a large initial amount, but have an inherently higher quality machine...read the brochures and see. We had a Hoover, and got fed up of it having one or two faults a year, and the repair guys not having correct parts etc etc etc As for 1000 Dysons...does anyone buy them at all?
As an example, just bought a White Knight dryer. The old version model has a handle to open the drum door latch. The new model doesn't have a handle, you just pull the door to force the latch open. Perhaps this saves the manufacturer 50p per machine, but it makes that part an obvious one to fail quickly due to wear and tear. Even the sales person in the shop couldn't believe they had been so cheap as to remove the handle.
| > | I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any | > | particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being | > | better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable) | > | | > | Cheers | > | | > | Jim | > | | > | | > | | > | -- | > | Remove BRAIN before replying | > | | > don't never, ever buy a Hoover. | > | > rpm | | I think with the cheaper machines you may be lucky and get a good one, | but you may be unlucky and get something that breaks down regularly. | Most manufacturers only offer 1 year guarantee, and you try getting | SoGA invoked on a 2 year old cheapy. Bosch offer a 2 year warranty, | but the purchase price is also higher. Hoover's 5 year parts warranty | seems ok until you realise they charge 80 call out...that's where | they make the money. | A handful of manufacturers make most of the cheapy machines, and seem | to cut costs where they can. | Miele on the other hand charge a large initial amount, but have an | inherently higher quality machine...read the brochures and see. | We had a Hoover, and got fed up of it having one or two faults a year, | and the repair guys not having correct parts etc etc etc | As for 1000 Dysons...does anyone buy them at all? | | As an example, just bought a White Knight dryer. The old version model | has a handle to open the drum door latch. The new model doesn't have a | handle, you just pull the door to force the latch open. Perhaps this | saves the manufacturer 50p per machine, but it makes that part an | obvious one to fail quickly due to wear and tear. Even the sales | person in the shop couldn't believe they had been so cheap as to | remove the handle.
aamoi (as a matter of interest...is that a commonly used ab.?), i have a white knight dryer in a care home used atleast 4 times a day...a little less in the summer. it is over 5 years old and has had no faults. i am well impressed by it! it has a auto shut off when clothes are dry rather than a timer so i suppose this reduces the amount of mechanical things that cud break i suppose. how ever i am expecting its demise at some stage so am seriously thinking about getting a gas version.
rpm

Wouldn't a drier used for commercial purposes have a different guarantee compared to one used for a general household? , but the gas driers do appear to potentially have some major cost savings depending what power tariffs you are on.

We've been married over 25 years, and in that time must have got thru about half a dozen washing machines.
We reached the conclusion that the cheaper the washing machine is, the more noisy it will be, and the more likely it is that it will decide to walk around the kitchen. It's one of those situations where you get false economies by buying at the low end - save a couple of hundred quid to cost several times that over a lifetime.
The reason for these problems is because on the cheaper models they are pretty much slapped together, and don't have features like soft start - they go from zero revs to full speed instantly. Whereas something like a more costly Zanussi will slowly build up the spin speed over a couple of seconds. We've come to the conclusion that Zanussi is about as good as we want to pay for - 400-ish.
Not forgetting that going from zero to full speed not only makes the WM walk, but it does long term damage to the main bearings.
Andrew
http://www.handymac.co.uk
stop to full speed "instantly" damages bearings? Care to explain this?
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:48:04 +0100, Andrew McKay