uPVC glazing bead

Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian" style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

Reply to
Huge

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads? I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc quadrant

Reply to
Bob H

Ah, now you've mentioned uPVC quadrant, where do you get this stuff from? Small lengths, not a 15m pack.

Reply to
Graeme

Quarter round.

Reply to
Huge

15m would be fine. I have about 120 panes of glass to fix....

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Well, I think even Screwfix sell uPVC quadrant. I just don't need 15m. 3m is all I need.

Reply to
Graeme

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Thanks

Reply to
Malc

Yes, it is (or should be) fairly straighforward. You remove the beads, measure up, get a replacement unit made, put it in, replace beads.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks. Last really dumb qusetion, by bead you mean the rubber strip around the glass yes?

Reply to
Malc

No, not just the rubber strip (glazing gasket) but the bead itself as well. You might be able to just prise one end of the black 'rubber' out enough to pull it all out, then the beads will more or less fall out.

Reply to
Bob H

There's a company called Celuform which makes and supplies DG companies with upvc products. You try them to see if and what they will supply to you, or failing that look for a upvc trader in the yellow pages of your area.

Reply to
Bob H

Thanks. Celuform have a pack quantity of 100m for quadrants (from their web site), but I'll give them a call anyway.

Reply to
Graeme

Wickes sell various UPVC sections including quadrant - you can just get a single 2.4 m length of whatever., as does a local hardware/wood place near me

Reply to
chris French

I bought some from Wickes, but it's way too large for what I need.

Reply to
Huge

Cheers. Our glazing gaskets seem to come out quite easily and often droop out of the window until I glue them back up.

Reply to
Malc