Timber or UPVC Double glazing?

We are having a large extension built which will entail replacing all the windows and door on the back of the house and one or two elsewhere. The existing windows are 11 year old timber double glazing - not the best quality in all likelihood if the rest of the house spec is anything to go by and one has already blown, so all will probably need replacing in 5-10 years anyway. Our architect specified Timber windows again, but the builder has suggested UPVC as the price difference once they are fitted and painted is very little and he says UPVC are great nowadays, low maintenance and more secure. Which is better - Timber or UPVC? This is a modern house so either would fit in - any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks

Emma

Reply to
emma

I would say that good hardwood windows would be preferable to UPVC for many reasons. Not so much with softwood, And hardwood is exspensive. However, if house value is important, there seems to be the strange situation that any house without UPVC needs "upgrading" according to estate agent types. So you can spend loads of cash on timber, only to find it reduces your resale market. However, if you are having an extension build and intend to stay a long time, resale is not so much a criterion. By the way, blown sealed units has little to do with the frames, unless the frames are so poor that they move around and stress the sealed units. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Depends on the style of the house. However, timber windows are generally preferable. uPVC claim to be maintenance free, but they go manky and yellow after 15 years. Timber need repainting every 5-7 years, but if maintained will last over a hundred years and probably thousands for hardwood.

I would generally pay at least double, if not more to have timber in preference to uPVC. The idea that uPVC would be chosen at the same price befuddles me. We've just put in a couple of timber sash windows into our loft conversion. That cost 2000 quid instead of the 600 for a couple of same sized uPVC casements.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you want to lower your house value both fiscally and aesthetically - put upvc rubbish in.

Wood - if you look after it, lasts just as long as plastic, and looks nice too!

Reply to
Part P

Timber windows are always more expensive than PVC. Maybe your builder is hoping to pocket the difference ;)

Timber is nicer if you are going to live there, PVC is cheaper if you plan to sell soon.

Reply to
marvelous

Plastic at the back and wood at the front gives you the best of both worlds. Nice view from the front and practical at the back. No good pretending that wood lasts as long as plastic. It may do in north/east aspects but, facing south or west, wood suffers badly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Would that be because of UV degradation of the wood finish?

There's many victorian buildings with original windows - so clearly longevity of even softwood is possible, with the right finish and some maintenance.

Reply to
dom

As it's a modern house and hardly likely to reduce the value I'd go with UPVC. You'll have far more maintenance with wood. First set of UPVC windows I ever installed was in 1990. They have not yellowed and look as good as new.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Combination of UV, rain, and prevailing winds on the wood and the finish. Walk down any street with Victorian houses and you'll see the S/SW facing windows have mostly been replaced, whereas those facing N/NE are usually in better nick

Sliding sashes survive quite well because they're set into the brickwork.

Reply to
Stuart Noble