Unvented system - tidyups?

While I'm tidying up my unvented system's pipework, and running a new cold main from stopcock to cylinder [1], is it worth doing either of these:

a) Connecting the cold distribution pipe for the house to the auxiliary outlet of the pressure relief valve so that I get balanced hot/cold.

b) Installing a thermostatic blender

c) Installing a pressure gauge

[1] After running it from the kitchen, up the side of the soil stack, and across the loft, with no joints whatsoever, I *love* plastic pipe.
Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

I would do this for any shower valves, especially if the PRV is cutting off a lot of pressure. However, I would prefer the kitchen cold tap to be direct mains.

That certainly will improve safety. It also enables you to up the temperature on the cylinder to reduce leggionaires' infection and increase cylinder heat capacity.

Well, I suppose it's nice to have a few gauges to look at!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On my system the cold feed to the flat was after the PRV and PLV.If you install a thermostatic valve you'll have to make sure that the pressure of the cold side can't pressurise the hot. You could put a gauge in if you were concerned that the pressure of the cylinder might get too high and the safety valves were failing.

Is DIY unvented system installation allowed? I thought it was for registered people only.

Reply to
adder1969

Last time I looked at the legislation, it was a grey area. More so than gas etc. which appear to be intentionally allowed.

I suspect that if you inform the BCO and they are happy to inspect and issue certification, then a court will err on your side. IANAL.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I didn't actually do the installation myself in any case. Though had I done, I would have actually tested the pressure relief. I know the installer didn't, because when I tested it I discovered that he hadn't actually tightened the comp fitting on the relief valve outlet...

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf