Hydraflo unvented cylinders

Anyone have any views on Hydraflo unvented cylinders?

'm thinking of having an one put in. My existing airing cupboard is not very big and it can't really be enlarged without obstructing a doorway into a bedroom. Hydraflo have the smallest diameter of any unvented cylinder on the market (505mm) which would just about fit with room for the pipework.

Strangely I can't find any thread in which they have ever been discussed on the Google archive. My main concern is that they only have a five-year guarantee, whereas Megaflo for example have 25 years.

If they're really rubbish my only option would be to get a Megaflo but put it in the loft, which would mean some joist strengthening I would think.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

What size are the joists?

If I was fitting it myself (as I was), I would definitely be looking for a loft installation. Even relatively shallow joists will be strong where they cross a load bearing wall. I just put mine near such a crossing and laid a thick layer of ply to spread the weight a little. However, there are some strange loft ceiling designs out there that would indeed be completely unsuitable.

You may find that your loft already has a cold water tank that you could remove. The new cylinder would weigh less than a 50 gallon cold tank and could be a straight swap, as you won't need the tank afterwards.

If you are doing the work yourself, I would strongly recommend that you consider a plate exchanger heatbank instead of an unvented cylinder. These are much easier to install, don't require pressure relief and overflow pipework and don't require ongoing safety inspections as there isn't a huge unvented pressurised vessel in the design.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle