replacement UPVC double glazing

x-no-archive: yes

not sure if this is a bit OT for the NG (strictly speaking I dont want to diy, but get decent job done)......

We have a 1920s house, windows/doors outside are rotten; regrettably forced to consider plastic double-glazing (you know, the nasty white stuff).

Would be grateful for anybody's experiences of d-g companies available in Nottingham area - price is not main consideration, more concerned to find someone that does a good job, can cope with unforeseen building work, e.g bricks/render that will be dislodged from around windows (you can tell I'm an optimist), that sort of thing.

Hopefully Coldseal is not the only option (I just hate their adverts).....

Thanks if anyone can help with examples of good/bad experiences.

Reply to
VFR

I don't know the Nottingham area - but find a local company which makes its own windows and fits them. Avoid the national companies like the plague.

Since you don't really like the idea of plastic, have you considered thermal-break aluminium? It looks much nicer because the sections are much thinner. It's also stronger. Downside is that it's a bit more expensive and - if you need to meet the latest energy efficiency regs - may need to be fitted with K-glass. Might be worth investigating, anyway.

Reply to
Set Square

Have found a company in Derby that makes its own frames, seems to be well-regarded on the customer-care front. Didnt know about aluminium as an alternative... will look at this too. Thanks for your response.

Reply to
VFR

Pick three or four from the local free papers, the smaller the better in most respects.

Ask for local examples of their work etc.

If it's the boss that comes to measure up then so much the better, if it's a salesman offering discounts go elsewhere. Best if they meaure up and come back with a set price.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Avoid ColdSteal at all costs. They "fitted" 2 doors in my house 2 years ago, and they still can't get them right. Aftersales service is terrible, fitters work to a very poor standard. Not impressed.

Reply to
Alan

Same applies to Anglian. I think you'll find my tale of woe in this group. Pity really because the Anglian product was pretty good at that time. Installation was awful, it makes you wonder about standards when they have to have employ full time "trouble shooting" teams...

The best bet is to find a local firm that has been trading for 10 years or so, preferably recomendation. Most will have past customers who are happy to be contacted and have their installations checked over.

Take a wander round the larger sheds that sell uPVC windows and note the prices for ones of similar size to yours, do the same on the wb from builders merchants. Get an idea of the cost of the windows and roughly calculate the cost for your job adding around =A375/man/day for =

labour. Any firm offering huge discounts "for this week only" should be avoided.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Certainly with patio doors, they rely for correct operation on being level and square - any deviation will cause problems. And PVC frames distort easily. So careful installation is 9/10ths of the job. Not surprising sub contractors on a fixed price can't be bothered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman