Buying replacement double glazing panels.

Hi, I have some 12yr(ish) UPVC panels that have leaked, looking at replacing them on a budget. I have taken them out of the frames and measured them, but I can't find anyone online that sells them. (Google just brings up an endless list of Double glazing fitters and con-merchants).

Any good online suppliers of basic replacement UPVC glass units?

Reply to
MarkG

I recently spent some time trying to find an on-line supplier, and could not find any. In the end, I bought from a company about 15 miles away. Even they weren't easy to find, most of the local companies are more interested in selling and installing whole new windows.

Reply to
RustyCrampon

no. For a good reason. You dot want to transport them ,iles .

simply take them to a local glazing firm. Nearly all of tehm (there are at least two I know of in my local town) will make them up and either deliver them to you, or into the back of our car or van.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

really? our locals (Bury St Edmunds) are happy to sell you anything as along as its to do with glass.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are several suppliers offering these made to measure on ebay, and a search for double glazing units comes up with several companies.

If you are dealing with local suppliers in person or on the phone I think it might help to be very clear when specifying what you need as if you are in the business of fitting them. I suspect that these companies may be reluctant to deal with people who appear not to know what they want or don't seem confident about measuring up, handling and transporting etc.

djornsk

I just had to replace a small one which cracked in the very cold weather. I asked a local high street glass company. Cost was £20 for the unit alone, or £80 to supply and fit. This was plain glass, 4-20-4mm IIRC, (not toughened, not K). Both cases included coming out to measure it first, which was an advantage of being local.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , MarkG writes

Nope, it's one of those things (that don't fit in a small padded bag) where local suppliers rule.

Search for 'glass merchants' (pref wholesale) in your area and talk a good game to get the best price.

Don't go to glaziers, they buy in sealed units these days so you'll be adding their margin to any purchase.

Reply to
fred

Yes what is that all about? I am just putting up with a tiny crack and a bit of condensation as the big pane seems to be unavailable except for more than a whole new window is, cannot be right surely?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And the people they buy them from won't deal with punters. If they do they'll charge them the retail price so as not to upset their regular customers i.e. the glaziers. Whatever the standard is now (28mm?) is normally the only thickness you'll find, but a local DG repair firm will no doubt have a source for custom made units. IME such firms are not expensive and carry all those bits and bobs that are hell to source

Reply to
stuart noble

Can't help with online, but my local supplier, Balham Glass, had them made up for me. Reasonable cost too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's not my experience, the supplier labels on the DG units waiting for fitting at my local glazier (nice bloke, still go to him for small single pane stuff) are the same as those on a single replacement unit that Joe the handyman bought and fitted to a relative's porch when they had a breakage. The supplier is a big local outfit and they are happy to have the volume to keep their line running.

If you do your research, know what you want and particularly if you have a number of units to purchase then I find them very happy to deal with the little guy although I always approach them as the fictitious 'fred the handyman' rather than fred the uncertain house owner.

I'm sure that big users get more discount but I've never felt stiffed on price.

Also, I've had no bother having units made up to various thicknesses.

Maybe it's being near a big city that helps.

Reply to
fred