is it a bad idea to diy double glazing ? Is Fensa always required ?

Living in a flat, I only have 6 windows.

I know why fensa are there etc, yet if wikes and

and alike are still helping the DIY window installer, can I still do this myself or not ?

What would happen when I sell ? Can I just inform building control and get a certificate or something

Reply to
freestyle_london

just fit them yourself. pretty easy to do, and will save you a bundle. unless your flat is listed or new build you don't have to notify. especially if your replacing like with like.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Actually all door and window replacements must be done by a FENSA company, or inspected and signed off under Building Regulations. Failure to get this WILL be noticed during sale of property if the purchaser's solicitor is doing their job.

No idea of the cost for this - but could still be a money saver.

David Hearn

Like how?

The sealed units might have dates on them but the frames visibly don't. 1995 uPVC looks just as crap as 2005 uPVC (apart from the yellowing) and your solicitor will say exactly what you tell them.

There is nothing to stop you replacing the panes of glass with like for like single panes, or even fully compliant units post Fensa Nazification and then claim the frames were pre Fensa Nazification.

Reply to
Matt

I was assuming that people were trustworthy and wouldn't lie on a legal document. The seller is asked whether any windows have been replaced since April 2001 (I think it's 2001) and whether it was done by a FENSA company/paperwork to prove it etc. Failure to provide this info can cause problems during sale.

Obviously, if you chose to lie and say it was done prior to 2001, then chances are you won't get caught - however, if multiple units have dates on them > 2001 then you're unlikely to claim they all got replaced?

Anyway - I was stating the legal side of it - not including illegal activities.

David Hearn

What are the new Regulations?

The Government's Approved Document L complementing the new energy efficiency regulations, was issued on 31 October 2001. It extends Building Regulations to cover replacement window and door installation from April 2002, when all installers and buyers of replacement windows and doors will be expected to comply with improved energy efficiency requirements. One of the main drivers is the need to reduce heat loss in order to conform to more stringent energy efficiency targets. Glass products will be expected to have lower heat loss, measured by their "U" value.

[Top]

How will the Regulations affect installers?

They involve more stringent specifications for the products used. In addition, all installations will be subject to inspection by Local Authority Building Control, unless arrangements for self-assessment have been made. With the annual rate of replacement installations running at approximately 2 million, inspection of each installation would cause a major bottleneck if channelled through the normal Building Control route.

[Top]

When do the Regulations come into force?

From 1 April 2002. However, the new technical regulations do not apply where contracts have been signed before 1 April 2002 and the installation is completed before 1 July 2002.

[Top]

What has to be certified?

Where a window or windows is/are completely replaced (as opposed to repaired) in existing dwellings, they must comply with Approved Documents Parts L1 and N (safety in relation to impact). In addition, the building should not end up with a worse level of compliance with respect to other applicable parts of Building Regulations, which includes Parts A (Structure), B (means of escape in case of fire) F (ventilation), J (combustion appliances and fuel storage systems) and M (access for the disabled).

Compliance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 is also essential.

Reply to
Dave Jones

As I understand it it is legal to replace the glazing, it's only if you replace windows (i.e. frames and all) that Building Regs approval is required.

Reply to
usenet

That is indeed correct

FENSA isn't just about the u values of the glass but also about safety, ie, upstairs openers being big enough to climb out of in case of fire, or the requirement to use toughened glass if it is less than a certain height above the floor etc., etc.

By all means, if people want to DIY their own windows they legally can do, but do it to the correct regulations and have them inspected and signed off by building control. It'll cost maybe £50-£60 and be much less hassle when you come to sell the house because - as other posters have commented - it WILL be picked up by the purchasers solicitors at sale time.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Is it really worth avoiding doing it properly for the cost of building control application? given that you then have to lie on the form you fill in when you sell your house And risk the sale falling through, or worse (even if probably unlikely)

Reply to
chris French

You can do it yourself, but should submit a building noitice first.

So long as you have paperwork from building control then nothing.

Yup, IIUC that is the way to go if you are not able to self certify.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, it is the frames (and glass) which are the important bit - just replacing a broken pane, or misted unit does not require FENSA/BCO interference.

David Hearn

If you bother to work out the value of the saving in heat loss you will find that double glazing is a waste of money and that just about every other way of reducing heating bills is more cost effective. So I'd say don't bother.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Yep, that's why, knowing my double glazing needed replacing (first generation aluminium screwed to the old sash boxes which had gone rotten), I got it done in the February just before Part L came in. I saved some £500 that way, which went towards a condensing boiler, much more cost effective. My installer (a local guy) told me afterwards that the saving was actually over £1000 against what it would have cost 2 months later, because the price of Pilkinton K glass lept up at that point, when it no longer needed to compete with regular glass.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If energy saving is your only reason for installing, then I would agree. There is plenty of "low hanging fruit" to get first in most houses.

However there are plenty of other reasons a window might need replacing, and going the single glazed route is not always easy either these days!

Reply to
John Rumm