What exactly do the FENSA 'regulations' require ?

Hi

Around 8 years ago we had all our front windows replaced with upvc by a 'household name' installer. I was so disappointed with the quality of the work (massive voids filled only with mastic, stripped screws etc etc) that I decided to replace the back windows myself when the time came. In the last two years I've fitted all the rear windows myself, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, and with a bit of time and effort I've done a job that far surpasses the quality of the 'professionals' we used.

Now we're looking to sell the house and i've decided to avoid any problems with fensa certs etc by applying for a regularisation certificate from the council, as I understand it, for £90 they will come and inspect my work against the building regs and retrospectively approve the installation.

My question is, what will they check? Is it just the thermal performance they'll be interested in or will they also check the physical installation of the frames. For example, will they want to remove all the sealing around the top of the frames to check I haven't messed about with the lintels?

I bought all my windows from a fensa registered trade supplier and all the units had the k glass stickers on, so thermally I'm not concerned. Just wondering if they'll be extra picky as I didn't notify them before I did the work?

Anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks

Reply to
DIY-Not

No, they won't be worried about that.

Other than the above, the other issue you need to be thinking about is fire regs, ie, "Means of Escape" in the event of fire, for which there are specific rules. For replacement windows like yours it's a good idea to bring them up to modern standards for obvious reasons, however it's not compulsory. However, you mustn't make the situation *worse* than before, eg if you originally had windows which opened to create a potential means of escape, and you replaced them with teeny tiny ones or fixed glass, then that would fail. And in your case you *might* have problems with proving what the original windows were.

There's also ventilation - modern installations usually have trickle vents.

The regs can be found at

- windows are dealt with under several different Approved Documents dealing with ventilation, thermal efficiency, access etc

David

Reply to
Lobster

I bought a house last year, and the seller did not have a FENSA certificate (or for some conversion work)

The eventual solution was for the seller to pay for a building regs indemnity insurance to cover the missing paperwork. IIRC this cost the sellr about £25 and kept all the legal eagles happy.

Regards

Reply to
Bob Smith

Ditto with my last purchase,,,,

Reply to
cupra

The other thing is use of the correct glass -- laminated or toughened if the panes are below a certain height.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Toughened glass is required where: Windows are less than 800mm off the floor, glass in doors and also I believe glass directly beside doors even if it is above 800mm off the floor. Also if it is near a bath, i.e if you stand up and slip on the soap and can fall into a window.

mark

Reply to
Mark

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 13:10:22 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, "Bob Smith" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I'm not surprised it would keep them happy; they've just earned £25 for nothing.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula