DIY Window Installation -

Hi there, a question for the much-esteemed regs please.....

Do the new regs for window replacement mean that DIY is effectively illegal now? (eg

)

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Steve Walker" wrote | Hi there, a question for the much-esteemed regs please..... | Do the new regs for window replacement mean that DIY is | effectively illegal now? | (eg

)

DIY is not illegal, you just have to pay the council for a certificate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This is the first time I've heard of this, is it nationwide?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Does Scotland have the same regulations?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

And has it been tested at law?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Local Council Building Control charge for a cert of compliance. They come out to inspect the windows before and after replacement and then issue a cert. (AFAIK)

I did ask them (very early on) why they needed a pre visit and they mentioned maintaining window openings for fire regs or some such reason. Not part of the remitt I would have thought. Can anyone confirm this. Also they mentioned inspection fee of £60.

This covers door replacement as well if the glass is 50% or over total area. The good news is that you can replace garage and shed windows with whatever you like

Also said it was not an inspection of the quality of the work. Only that the windows were "Part L". A 2" gap round the frames would not stop the issue of a cert.!

God help us. What a total waste of time and money. What next.

Firms having FENSA registered, means that they can replace windows and they issue their own certification as to compliance.

Scotland will have the same regs but probably not named "part L"

Reply to
sid

Yes, this new procedure rather struck me to be a coup by a trade association with an obvious vested interest. What next? I predict that the British Association of Gardeners will lobby for a similar approval process re lawn-mowing. Householders wishing to do this themselves (and thus deprive decent BAG members of rightful employment) will be obliged to fill out forms, pay fees and submit to inspections....

Reply to
Steve Walker

Although it is against the law, I would have thought it highly unlikely that you would be prosecuted.....How will the council find out?

However the real issue will be when you come to sell your house, as one of the questions you will be asked will be whether you have had any alterations done and whether you have the appropriate plannings and building permits. In my last house we had our garage converted into a room, believing that we didn't need planning permission. When we came to sell it was a real problem getting retrospective permission.

Reply to
TimD

Part P, that's what's next. Grrr.

Reply to
Andy Wade

So the sparkies have got the fix in too, eh? Another 20 years and DIY will be practically illegal.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Which will make for a thriving black market

Reply to
raden

as if we wanted the extra hassle.

loz

Reply to
Reddi-sparks

"S Viemeister" wrote | Mary Fisher wrote: | > "Owain" wrote | > > "Steve Walker" wrote | > > | Hi there, a question for the much-esteemed regs please..... | > > | Do the new regs for window replacement mean that DIY is | > > | effectively illegal now? | > > | (eg

) | > > DIY is not illegal, you just have to pay the council for a certificate. | > This is the first time I've heard of this, is it nationwide?

For England and Wales, yes.

| Does Scotland have the same regulations?

Not as far as I can see.

According to the Replacement Windows Advice Note (my emphases) for Edinburgh,

"A building warrant is NOT needed if you are removing a window and installing a new one in the same opening. However, if the window is not a 'like for like'replacement you MUST make sure that the new window complies with the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations. You also NEED a building warrant if you have to do other work, such as removing a mullion (the vertical divide between windows), or altering a neighbouring section of wall. There are many regulations relating to windows, and they can be complicated. You should get reliable advice, or a written statement saying that the new windows will comply with the regulations, from someone experienced such as your architect, builder or window manufacturer. The regulations deal with a variety of points including the following examples. Fitness of materials and standard of workmanship - The windows must be fitted properly using suitable materials and there should be no leaks or draughts. General safety - The window must be fixed securely to the building and must not endanger passers-by when open. Emergency escape - Buildings have to be constructed with escape routes in case of a fire. In certain residential buildings with only one escape route, there must be emergency windows that give you an alternative escape route. The regulations explain which buildings, where these windows are required and window sizes. Daylight - Certain sizes (measured in 'glazed area') are needed for different rooms. As lighting accounts for up to 15% of electricity used in the home, make the most of daylight. Ventilation - Windows provide essential ventilation, particularly in kitchens, bathrooms and shower-rooms. The regulations identify the type (permanent or adjustable) and amount needed in different places. Heating installations A room or space containing a fixed heating installation (eg solid fuel, oil-fired or gas-fired) must have permanent ventilation, often from a vent in a window. This must be taken into account when replacing windows. The regulations describe the amount of ventilation needed. Cleaning - To avoid accidents, it is important that any windows more than 4 metres (13 feet) high can be cleaned safely from inside or from a window access system. Windows above stairs to flats or in a common entrance hall can be cleaned from a ladder, as long as the window is not more than 9 metres (29 feet 6 inches) above the ground or a suitable load-bearing surface. You must install energy efficient double or triple glazing for all replacement windows, this is now a compulsory requirement under building regulations .

The PDF also notes:

You may need Feu Superior's Consent before making any alterations, the grounds of the property. Consent is needed from the Council for alterations to property previously owned by the Council, or property that has been built on ground that was previously owned by the Council.

There is also a note that Planning or Conservation Area consents are a different matter.

And summarised at

Replacement Windows - You need a Building Warrant if it is necessary to do other works, for example removing a mullion or altering an adjacent section of wall. You may need to have your replacement windows checked when you want to sell your house. There is a charge for this service.

Also note in contrast to England's Part L:

All new heat producing appliances do NOT need a Building Warrant and Completion Certificate but MUST comply with the relevant Building Regulations if it is proposed to install a different type of appliance. A chimney, flue pipe and hearth associated with an appliance does need a Building Warrant.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I did a Google on Window replacement legislations and came up with:

That Health & Safety Executive legislation now requires that ANYONE who can potentially fall more than 2metres whilst working should be provided with and use a fall arrest protection system!

See:

Mary Fisher

So this is why "they" can't fix the leaks on the flat roof of my single story office, having run out of money in the scaffolding budget.....(world's gone mad)

Reply to
OldScrawn

I think it depends on how long they`re expecting to work at height. ISTR anything less than 15 minutes doesn`t fall under this legislation (no pun intended)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Reply to
raden

Absolutely.

Have a look at the sanctimonious claptrap from the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers (Institute of Plumbers as was).

to them:

"Putting up a couple of shelves is one thing, but trying a bit of DIY on your plumbing system can not only be dangerous and expensive, but could also drop you in hot water with the law! "

This is a real joke when one reads this in their How to Join section: " Q: I'm a working plumber - will my work be inspected?

A: If you don?t have formal qualifications, we can accept practical experience instead, together with suitable references from others in the profession. In some cases we may ask one of our Professional Standards Inspectors to assess your work. "

The reality is that all of these self certification schemes are a means for the government to keep tabs on tradespeople for administrative (i.e. tax) purposes.

There is absolutely no way that the resources are in place at the nominated enforcing bodies (i.e. local authority building control) to police any of this stuff.

It's regulation for its own sake, and poorly done.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

(snipped useful information)

Thanks, Owain. Filed for future use.

I would imagine that Highland would have similar regulations to Edinburgh?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

"S Viemeister" wrote | > According to the Replacement Windows Advice Note (my emphases) for | > Edinburgh, | >

| I would imagine that Highland would have similar regulations to Edinburgh?

It's the same law. I copied Edinburgh because their website's got more useful information than most. If anything, Ebr's requirements are likely to be stricter because of conservation area status.

Of course, it's always possible that Highland have some idiosyncracies, like all ground floor windows having to be narrower than a coo's horns.

Owain

Reply to
Owain