TOT Printer

But it's what the sheeple like, they don't have to think or plan ahead. Personally I'd not touch an inkjet printer ever again, lasers don't dry out... Still have the "I'm down to 10% of toner in one cartridge better stop printing" mode though. Fortunately mine has an override, it complains, but carries of printing perfectly well for an awful long time after it wants to stop...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

those Epson cartridges are chipped and will not be recognised if you try and refill them

but you can get refillable carts with Auto reset chips + ink

you will have to replace _All_ the carts with the new ARC ones

-
Reply to
Mark

There's a website somewhere with info about how to sort out recalcitrant printers. I'll see if I can find it. All these things can be fixed, that's how "Cartrige World" can stay in business.

Reply to
harryagain

They have a gadget for cleaning out the print holes in my local Cartridge World.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , Mark writes

Interesting. Thanks. Site bookmarked for future reference.

I've always wondered how empty a cartridge needs to be before, if you top it up, the printer knows you're trying to pull a fast one!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

TBH

If you want, and are buying a copier, the other two functions come almost for free

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I have a slight suspicion that there might be a danger of damage. I have tried to unblock the printheads of two Canon printers. Using warm water, then hot water, but still no joy. After trying boiling water, the print heads were signalled as faulty (5 amber flashes). I wonder if the heating elements can overheat and self-destruct if dry.

Reply to
Dave W

One of the older approaches was to use Windex - which includes some IPA, ammonia and who knows what else. Leaving it on a pad so that the fumes can thoroughly infuse whatever is blocking.

(I guess some UK products might have similar formulation but I don't know which ones.)

Reply to
polygonum

That's what I mean - if they die with boiling water, they may also die if the heaters don't get cooled with ink when they heat to boiling.

Reply to
Dave W

So why did boiling water kill them? They have to create steam to blow the ink out.

Reply to
Dave W

I'm satisfied with that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Have you looked on Ebay for a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) for this ? It's an external tank of 6 containers for the ink feeding ink via a flex ible ribbon pipe. Costs about £30 if I remember rightly, but thereafter is virtually zero cost for years.

I've just done a Chinese electrolytic capacitor replacement on a thrown out C6180 and got it working fully, and then fitted the CISS from an earlier H P photosmart printer.

Reply to
robgraham

As the OP prints very little, I doubt if a CISS will be appropriate.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Have you looked on Ebay for a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) for this ? It's an external tank of 6 containers for the ink feeding ink via a flexible ribbon pipe. Costs about ?30 if I remember rightly, but thereafter is virtually zero cost for years.

I've just done a Chinese electrolytic capacitor replacement on a thrown out C6180 and got it working fully, and then fitted the CISS from an earlier HP photosmart printer.

The copy/scanner on the printer no longer works, okay it is over 7 years old but this function has hardly been used. Bloody HP. I have another printer/copier-scanner in the loft which works. It requires a new black cartridge as the original has gone faulty. I'd rather stick a new cartridge in that than stick a new one in the C7180. Thing is by the time I needed to print something it will probably have dried up. Last thing I would want is 6 container sat on my desk, but thanks for the suggestion. Oh, I've powered down this printer several times and printed about 10 test pages. I'm satisfied and quite chuffed with that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder