HP printer quirky behaviour - why

I have an HP photosmart 5520 series device. It plugs directly into the mains. If I switch it off on the front panel it will not switch back on again - unless I unplug it from the mains, after which the front panel switch behaves as expected. What's going on? It is plugged into a surge protected mains socket.

puzzled and curious Frank

Reply to
WhinYett

Does sending a print job to it bring it out of standby?

Reply to
Graham.

It's fully switched off for the above to happen. S/w reports it unavailable. When switched on it works fine.

Reply to
WhinYett

Seems like you are not alone.

good luck.

Reply to
Graham.

One such forum suggested the "unplug it" trick. HP trouble shooting documentation also mentions it. I am looking for some explanation.

Reply to
WhinYett

MY HP5300C scanner used to have that problem too. I think they have never quite got the hang of sleep and resume events on USB devices.

Again cycling the power would bring the thing back to life.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Sounds like some odd fault in the psu. I have a pc which if you turn the mains off at night, then on in the morning, the machine will not boot, it just sits there spinning its drives and fans when the on button is pressed. Its fine as long as it is plugged in for then mins before you attempt to turn it on. My feelings are that some of the Electrolytics are on their way out, but pending an explosion, no idea which!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff