Removing Ivy

Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like climbing roses?

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We just trim it regularly. The hairy bits left on the wall we just leave to weather and decay.

Prefer Virginia Creeper myself but its swmbo's choice

Reply to
fred

Cut the stem(s) at the base & forget it. Its then self-getting-rid-of, albeit slowly.

I dont know the effect of chemicals on the soil

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ammonium sulphamate (NOT sulphate) will kill the roots but can only be sold as a compost accelerator not a weed/stump killer any longer - Thanks EU! It can be found on ebay. I mix it with some glyphosate (roundup etc) for good luck and spray it on the leaves - I dont think it will work applied to woody stems but not sure. I would let some new leaves appear and form fully and then spray 'em.

Both chemicals break down and do not have a long term effect on the soil. This is reinforced by it's official use on compost heaps.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

+1 it will then die off and can be pulled away and burnt
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ammonium Sulphamate was know as Rootout until the EU intervened. You might like to try your local allotment holders association - they may sell it as a 'compost accelerator'

Cut the stems and put solid on freshly cut surface, then cover. This kills the roots, but IME the topn will continue to thrive if it can get water from the surface it is attached to. I would advise spraying the top growth with a solution to kill it - it helps if you manage to soak the surface. When dead a Dutch hoe is a good scraper to clean the surface

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

When I had to get some off a gate post to replace the gate (needed to get at the joints so as to do minimal damage to the fence) and also when removing it for wood treatment, I found that a paint scraper took it off very easily with hardly any residue on the surface. When I started to pick it off I realised that it could take a long time and just tried the scraper in hope, so very pleased with my luck.

Reply to
PeterC

Cut it off at the bottom and treat the root bit with roundup painted on immediately after cutting. This will kill it. Getting the ivy off the wall is a pain in the neck unless it is quite small

Reply to
harryagain

When I do this, I make two parallel cuts & remove a small section of the stem. If you just do a single cut, the wound can sometimes heal up & the ivy carries on as though nothing had happened.

Your hedera may vary etc. etc.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Just leave it. Once cut at the base its a self solving problem. Weird how people want to mess about with something that wants to do the job for them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Won't she complain like hell tho?