Killing and removing Poison Ivy.

Folks would appreciate any recommendations be that products or methods for getting rid of Poison Ivy in my back yard, its gotten into the ground cover....

Thanks

Reply to
Danny

Put some old pants and and old pair of machine-washable shoes. Long-sleve shirt and gloves. Take an artist's brush and a cupful of full-strength (48%) glyphosate, and venture forth into the ground cover to paint the poison ivy leaves.

Immediately throw all the clothes into the washer when you're done.

Wait 6 weeks and venture forth again to round up any you missed the first time.

Reply to
Ether Jones

I'd add take a shower.

I pull poison ivy by hand. Real slow as to not leave roots about. Tedious, but I keep an eye out to reduce the work. I then bury the plants I pulled a foot down. Done every year this is manageable.

Sound advice!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Whatever you do, DO NOT BURN IT!

Jacqui

Reply to
axemanchris

Another tip is that if you come in contact with poison ivy when you are done put rubbing alcohol on the exposed skin. That will take all of the oil off the skin You must shower within 12 hours to be completly safe. Oh and do not put rubbing alcohol on before you work with poison ivy. It will be ten time worse if you get the oil on your skin. Chuckie

Reply to
Chuckie

Good tip but I would shorten the shower time to within 3 hours of working around poison ivy.

Reply to
Bill R

Check out the "You Bet Your Garden" website. Follow the directions there and you will have 100% success. Basically, you kill the poison ivy with super strong vinegar. This is NOT the stuff you buy at the supermarket. I recommended it to a friend and he swears he could actually see the ivy dying. If the soil isn't ready for plantings of your choice after all the ivy has died, you just bring the pH back with some limestone.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron