Brambles and Poison Ivy

Hi

I've recently started clearing up my garden.

The garden is decent size around 16 meters in length. I've noticed that around 6-7 fences are pretty much completed by Poison Ivy (climbing) and its growing fast. I also noticed that there are small similar plants growing in some other parts of the garden as well, they are pretty small though.

The other problem is the brambles, garden was pretty much cover with brambles but I've cut it down with hedge trimmers to the soil level and cover it up with cardboard. I haven't yet put any mulch down as I wan't to grow proper hedge so waiting for it to completely die.

Can some advices what is the best method to get rid of both of these weeds. and if the cardboard will work then how much time should i leave it before planting any hedge.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
RK77

Cut the vines near the soil. When new growth appears, apply Roundup. You can apply Roundup with a soft brush if plants you want to keep are close. A second (or more) application is often needed for established poison ivy plants.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
ctlady

It's true that RoundUp should be used on the plant when its leaves are out in full. But, you can also just cut the vines down to ground level and pull the rest of them out of the ground. Getting rid of the underground roots is the best way to keep it from growing back. If you are allergic to poison ivy, get somebody else to do it or else use a pair of good work gloves and keep your arms well covered. Ditto for the brambles.

Roundup is only temporary. Pulling weeds is only temporary. Unless one cultivates that land to grow something else, like a lawn and/or flower beds, or otherwise covers it with some impermeable matter such as paving then it won't be too very long after the pulling and/or defoliating that the kinds of offending vegetation that originally established itself will reestablish itself, and probably with a vengence now that the ground is somewhat broken up. Unless one has some use in mind for that land then they may as well leave it as is... at least the critters can enjoy it... poison ivy and brambles are not necessarily a bad thing, not if you're a song bird, a rabbit, or a chipmunk.

Reply to
brooklyn1