Blueberry Bushes

I transplanted 2 Blueberry Bushes from the shade where they did not blossom or bear fruit to a sunny spot and wonder if it is too late for them to do both. I live in Connecticut.

Reply to
Connecticut

It depends what kind of blueberry, if later bearing there is still time to blossom... but just transplanted I'd not expect much. How old are these bushes? If small and the root ball wasn't disturbed then they won't need much recovery time. Make sure the soil is on the acetic side. Blueberries also need a pollenator, if your two don't blossom at the same time you may have a problem.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Reply to
Phisherman

After transplanting, remove any blooms the first year. Feed with cottonseed meal and mulch with old sawdust or peat moss. Give it a rest for a year to allow it to become established.

Reply to
Phisherman

This sounds right to me.

I've read you can plant them in more or less straight peat moss (they like real acid soil), which is what I've done. So far mine are loving it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If farming organically, check the source. Cottonseed meal may be heavily treated with pesticides. Potatoes and blueberries like low pH soils.

Reply to
Billy

On Sun, 31 May 2009 10:52:28 -0700, Billy spuked forth:

The meal may also come from GM cotton.......good luck getting source on any cotton residue product. It likely contains GM material, as does cotton burr compost, as the purveyor utilizes cotton burr from any source.

Think Vandana Shiva and Indian farmers committing suicide over failed promises, ie: LIES by monsatano and bigagribiz.

Pay your money and take your chance, so says the man.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie - "An Organic Fanatic"