when to transplant lilacs

I have two lilac (syringa) bushes down by my creek. They have suckers coming out of the bottom and they are leafing as well as the main bush is blooming. When is the best time to remove the suckers so I can use them for transplants?

Reply to
cvnativeinpa

Is there any question of the lilacs being grafted? If there is, don't use the suckers for transplanting. If you want more lilacs from that particular bush, take cuttings from soft branches after bloom time is over.

Reply to
Pennyaline