Killing Ivy

What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees? The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller to kill them that won't harm the trees.

Reply to
Colin

You could just locate the places where they connect to the earth and cut them there. They need roots.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

There might be a teansy weansy legal point about killing something not on your land?

Reply to
Pete C

Can't you just cut the plants off a few inches below the soil level, the tops will then die and they don't come back from the roots.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

You can cut whatever parts of the ivy are growing on your side of the property line but the application of defolient or digging/pulling up the ivy is something best discussed with your neighbor prior to proceeding with any erradication method and first obtaining their written permission. In some jurisdictions one may apply for monetary compensation for periodically cutting the parts of a neighbor's vegetation growing on your side when they refuse to cut back or otherwise contain their vegetation. There have been many law suits won by people against neighbors whose invasive vegetation have crossed the line... in some instances blocking the view with vegetation is against the law. Of course if you have any reason to believe your neighbor will be uncooperative then it is best to say nothing, creep out in the middle of a moonless night with your sprayer filled with defolient and have at it.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Have you talked to the owner?

I would.

They may not be aware the problem they are causing and actually welcome you comments and invite you to 'sort em out'

It costs nothing to ask.

Reply to
'Mike'

Bloody silly advice, but then I have always got on very well with all of my neighbours. I suppose it is your experience and attitude which has caused a different opinion :-((

Reply to
'Mike'

DUH!

You'd be one of those rare but pitiful neighbors where it would be best to proceed with eraticating their invasive growth without giving a heads up.

Reply to
brooklyn1

You folks haven't dealt with ivy before, have you? Nothing short of pulling it out by the roots will slow it down.

Reply to
Billy

Thank you for your wonderful kind words. I trust you live in the middle of a field? If not, with an attitude like that, you should

Reply to
'Mike'

Yes I have. If pulling it out by the roots is the remedy, pull it out by the roots .......... once it has rooted on your land.

Where is the problem? Too much like hard work? Concrete everything over then and paint it green

Reply to
'Mike'

I suggest waiting for a good day or two of rain to soften the soil. Then wearing gloves long sleeves etc and having a large trash bag about gently pull up the vine trying to get all the roots. May be easier here as sandy loan with high mulch content enables the surface roots to pull well. Think of these roots as underground vine. Try to get it all. Go slow. Hot shower afterwards. Ivy is a good thing to watch for and remove early. Still a bird dropping in and obscure location and nature works. I've neighbors that don't have a clue about poison ivy and don't care.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

And then pull them out again, and then once again. Then you may be able to catch your breath as they regroup.

Reply to
Billy

He does sexual innuendoes too.

Welcome aboard ;O)

Reply to
Billy

I know he read my reply to the OP and than has the unmitigated chutzpah to regurgitate eggszactly what I suggested.

And I do live in the middle of a field, a rather large field, as do most of my neighbors... we like it that way.

I've been attempting to obliterate the field by planting trees but with such a large field its a losing battle...last week I planted two chubby little Colorado blue spruce... what kind of dent will these make:

now it's pouring (or I'd be mowing), there's one lonely Canada goose enjoying the deluge:

brooklyn1

snippy

there. Wanna let on where it is? Regards,

Reply to
Pete C

Nice garden shed!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I have dealt with ivy, lots of ivy. Its no big deal. Chop it off, pull up what you can, then strim, pluck, whatever what re grows. It soon gives up.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Wait until a soaking rain and pull out the ivy by hand. I have a pair of leather garden gloves for such occasions. You can also cut the ivy vines near the ground. A different method for poison ivy, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's in NY's Catskills. I do have a good sized veggie garden but with all the rain and chilly weather this year it has been a very bad year, most everything has drowned.

Reply to
brooklyn1