Removing ivy "holdfasts"

I don't know if that is what they're called but I'm sure you know what I mean.

seem to be a right b*gger to remove. I've tried wire brushing, pressure washing, pressure washing + wire brush and lastly blowtorch + wire brush.

The last has been the most successful but I'm a bit worried about damaging the rendering and am wondering if there's anything a bit less aggressive that might do the job.

Yes, I know an angle grinder would do it but I'm after *less* aggressive. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Just leave then a few years and (pressure) wash off.

Then repaint.

I believe bleach helps the process as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pressure washing worked for me, but there was still a risk of blasting off the crappy old underlying pebbledash didn't get it all off. TBH though, the Sandtex paint I applied subsequently was absolutely brilliant: covered a multitude of sins and no sign of it coming away even where the odd 'holdfast' (or, as you say, whatever they're called!) remained underneath!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Pressure washer in't big enough! Hire one with a 3kw motor or a 5.5 hp engine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman