help removing paint

I have a set of old (50s) canoe paddles. I cant seem to get the paint off. I have tried ammonia. Lacquer thinner, stripper, straight methiline chloride, acetone I have sanded them but still have traces of green I need removed such as in the dents dings and the end grain.Any suggestions?

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

You'll need some sort of liquid paint remover, preofrably one of the stronger ones, and a wire brush, to get that paint out. Either that or take it someplace where they can dip it.

Reply to
scott21230

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

I don't know which one, but only one of these had any chance of working. But Iam a bit surprised that one didn't work.

I would try a 4" wire wheel on a bench grinder. I know that it seems even less likely than a liquid to get into dents, but I think it will work, especially if you push in a bit. It leaves a smooth finish (even with a coarse wheel iiac.) Works fast too, on almost anything, and doesn't require drying time. More importantly I guess, you know right away if you got what you were aiming at. No soaking time.

Be sure to wear safety glasses with sides and tops. I used a new wheel and got one of the wires stuck in my forehead, like an acupuncture needle. But it came out with almost no effort and didn't bleed at all. I wish I had looked in a mirror while I was doing this, to see how deep in it was. Probalby very little, but I'm curious.

Reply to
mm