HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!!

I have a front living room i am not currently using. I would like to make it a bedroom, at minimal costs, meaing, I don't need a closet, just I need something of a barrier between the livingroom doorway from the front hallway and then the other door from livingroom to dinning room.

the first door way is normal size, but the second is more of an oversized doorway.

I would prefer to do something not that perminment so when we no longer have the guest I can use it like a livingroom, but able to give our "roommate their privacy when they are here"

what type of doors would be best for this situation or any other creative ideas I would appreciate.

thanks!!!

Reply to
jldsallthat

How about the tall dividers used between cubicles in offices, or the easily moveable walls used at trade shows?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You can frame it with 2 x 4's and sheetrock. Don't go crazy with the nails and it will come out easily with minimal damage. It need not be overly strong since it is not structural, just has to support a pre-hung door.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As others have mentioned, framing in a pre-hung door would provide the most privacy, both visual and sound-blocking.

If you're only concerned about the visual aspects, and not so much about the sound-blocking, you might consider hanging some sort of vertical mini-blinds across the openings to the living room. Easy to put up now, easy to take down later.

If your guest needs a phone in their room, if it's not practical to run a new phone wire, you can always connect a cordless phone to an existing jack.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

We were three roommates in a two bedroom apartment, and we had a harder situation than yours. To go from the hall to the kitchen, we had to go through a corner of the dining room, which was one guy's room, then left into the kitchen.

The guy in the dining room put in free-standing bookshelves taller than we were that made a very good wall, plain on the hall side and full of books on his side.

He only put a curtain for the doorway.

If you don't have enough books, they have them for 10 cents a piece at the Baltimore County Library surplus sales, some really good books too. (I think they should enlarge the buildings and build more shelves, but they don't listen to me.)

Reply to
mm

thanks for the great ideas. I think I am leaving toward framing in the one doorway by the front hallway, and maybe doing th bookshelve storage devise and place in fron t of the dining room door way. she will need a "closet" so that would be a good place to but a free standing wardrobe of somesorts!!!

Reply to
jldsallthat