Outlets with wall switches

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall switch?

Reply to
Jo

Typically the switches are to control table lamps in rooms that don't have ceiling fixtures. Electronics such as TVs, stereos, cable boxes, etc. often never really turn off but only "stand by" and if left unpowered for long periods of time can lose memory like station presets etc. and then you'll have a long wait after turning them back before you can view/hear whatever it was that you were looking for.

There's absolutely no problem plugging anything into a recep that is always hot, even if it is in the same frame as one that is switched. Although as with any electronics a surge protector is not a bad idea (use a surge strip for interconnected devices like stereo components and/or TVs and cable boxes so that they are all plugged into the same circuit; ones with built in antenna/cable surge suppression are good for A/V gear)

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

Reply to
LSMFT

Money-saving tips:

  • Unplug clocks when not in use
  • Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on return.

There's bound to be a web site somewhere with more tips.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 11/22/2010 11:01 AM Jo spake thus:

By "connected to a wall switch" do you mean "*controlled by* a wall switch"? Not clear from your posting.

If so, then who says you aren't supposed to plug things in there? Maybe the people who want to keep charging you for "phantom" power?

Nothing I can think of would make this a bad thing, assuming you want the TV or whatever to be controlled by that switch.

Even high-current devices like electric heaters would be OK on a switch, provided they don't exceed its ratings (which, since they should be the same as the ratings of the entire circuit--wiring plus circuit breakers or fuses--should be fine). Low-power draws like TVs and other consumer electronic devices are OK.

(The intended purpose of such a setup is normally to control a light in the room from the wall switch.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sure, they're a waste of power. No argument.

However, I wonder if anyone has performed this study:

In my house, most of the "always on" devices are not plugged into switched outlets. Short of actually unplugging the devices each time, I would need to plug them into a switch box of some sort, let's say a surge protected power strip.

Each of those power strips has to be manufactured, packaged and then shipped to a storage location or store. They then have to be purchased by me and transported to my home. After that, the packaging material has to discarded - recycled if possible and landfilled if not - but in either case hauled away by a big truck and transported someplace else to be processed.

Each of those steps require "power", either directly or indirectly. In addition, I'd need multiple power strips since not only are the various devices located far apart from each other, they are not always used at the same time so can't be all powered off at once.

I wonder what the payback period is for the manufacture/shipping/ disposal steps of a single power strip vs. the power that a given device eats up by being left in "stand-by" mode.

e.g. How long does the clock on a microwave need to be left on to end up costing more than the power strip needed to turn it off?

P.S. Before you say "just unplug it", you should know that the plug for my microwave is *behind* the microwave, as is the plug for the main oven (and its clock), the plug for my TV, sound system, etc.

"Just unplug it" is not a viable solution.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Remove lightbulb when leaving room. Take it to the next room.

Reply to
krw

te:

re: "Remove lightbulb when leaving room. Take it to the next room"

..or like this guy does, "Remove *room* when leaving room."

DerbyDad03

In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power is interrupted. I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice brought down the power line.

Electronic equipment is often shut off electronically. This can protect the equipment from surges that can happen when power is interrupted by a mechanical switch. If you made a habit of shutting off electronic equipment with a wall switch, it might not last as long.

Reply to
J Burns

It won't hurt them. But like unplugging such a tv, it will forget your preset stations and you'll have to scan the spectrum again, or enter each number one digit at a time.

Yes. That's what it's there for. Used to be outlets were all swtiched or not at all switched. This combination is more versatile.

Reply to
mm
[snip]

Different models forget different things. Many only forget to be on, just enough forgetfulness to make them useless for remote control by switching power.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes, you remind me. I hate that kind, because my bedroom tv is set up so I can turn it on and change the volume with a wired contol. I don't like having to use the remote, especially since the tv is always on channel 3. Sometimes I turn it off electically anyhow, if I'm sleepy, and then I have to find the remote or crawl over the bed to turn it on again.

Reply to
mm

This is one reason why there is not an ignition coil connected to his TV.

Perhaps the transformer on the pole acted like the ignition coil in a car when the power was interrupted on the high voltage side (I don't know if this is possible). But since he would be breaking the connection between the TV and the transformer instead, I don't see how this is a concern.

Yes, there is probably a transformer in the power supply in the TV, but it will have a capacitor sized to absorb any spike it can produce when unplugged.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

You should not plug a TV into an outlet controlled by a switch as this will cause damage to the electronic components over time. Many modern components require time to shut down properly. While they all are built to survive sudden loss of power, doing this over and over may cause damage. The TV on/off switch will power the TV on/off more gracefully, and protect the components, giving your TV a much longer lifespan. As far as remembering channels, most TV's should be able to do that regardless.

As everyone else here mentioned, your bottom outlet is just a regular outlet, and you can plug anything into it.

Reply to
John

There's a capacitor on the primary of an ignition coil. A capacitor can reduce peak voltage but doesn't dissipate energy. On DC, inductive surges are often absorbed by diodes rather than capacitors.

The gentlest way to interrupt AC power to an inductor is to catch it at the part of the cycle when current isn't flowing. An electronic switch can do that.

Reply to
J Burns

How does that second one save money?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

There's a circuit board in the GDO waiting to hear from the remote.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 11/23/2010 12:18 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains.

"Unplug clocks when not in use"? Think about it a couple seconds ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

And they buy cheap chinese power strips and the switch goes bad after a few months - becoming a fire hazzard

As for the clocks, they are more accurate if NEVER plugged in. They are dead accurate twice a day,

Reply to
clare

But it is a proven fact that many electrical devices do last a lot longer if they are never turned off. (of course they last even longer if never plugged in - - -)

Reply to
clare