HP 2200 Printer problem

HP 2200DN printed a few pages then had a paper jam. Removed the loose unjammed sheet of paper, checked paper path is clear, doors are shut, did cold reset etc but it always has a red flashing triangle once it's gone through its setup.

Manual says: any of z Paper out z Door open z Toner cartridge missing z Paper jam

Well, none of those are the case.

Another online site says NVRAM error, do a cold reset, or cold reset with cancel button held down. Doesn't work.

The panel messages have always been a source of frustration with this thing. They are often confusing & always need a look up to see what they mean. Any ideas other than getting another printer?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Unlikely given it occurred after a paper jam.

Check the jammed sheet(s) you removed, any torn bits missing? if so find where they're hiding ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

are you absolutely certain that a scrap of paper didn't get left inside?

Reply to
charles

Sounds like there is a sensor switch somewhere still indicating a problem - perhaps it got stuck or there is a fragment of paper in there.

My old 2200DN decided one day to strip the teeth off a cog, and that was it! It was far cheaper to replace than repair, and the replacement (HP M402dne) out performs it in pretty much every respect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is it networked? Mine is and if you browse to the appropriate IP address you usually get an 'informative' error code. Granted, that doesn't always get you a lot further...

Reply to
jkn

It's a -DN so it should be able to, I've never networked it though.

Re the paper that came out, no damage to it, no bits left inside. I just tried running it again, it's making gear grating noises, somewhere at the back I can't readily get to. Smacking to free a possible stuck switch didn't work. Will get a light in there later on. Cheers folks. I'm just hoping it's not the 2nd dead printer in 1 day.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or the paper jam wasn't the original problem? The printer stopped because of some other failure, then lit up the paper jam warning light.

Reply to
GB

My 2200 just dropped dead one. The replacement P2035 performs better and was not expensive, new from ebay.

Reply to
GB

Did the paper jam and get torn? Is there any debris or paperdust where it should not be, inndeed even toner can play havoc with sensors. In my view all printer manuals should show you where sensors are in case of such problems, sadly they dont. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

If its not that, merely using a vacuum cleaner in its innards often wakes up these things as it does not need much to block a sensor. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The paper wasn't jammed, the printer had just given up motoring it. It came out without effort & no damage. So it does look like some other fault. :( I've got a new cartridge on the shelf for it too.

This is a pita. If I have to I can get a laserjet 5 in, but it's not going to be overly convenient.

If the printer only gave a useful error message I'd know what to look at. But it doesn't, ever.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can give it a static IP address from its front panel (or find out what address it was allocated by DHCP).

Then visit it the address in a web browser. That gets a bit more information out of it.

That sounds likely to be game over.

The 2200 models are fairly ancient now - and age seems to get many of them before they actually wear out.

Reply to
John Rumm

So if "the printer had just given up motoring it", you must have removed the sheet that you tried to print back out of the in-tray?

I had a printer that reported a jam but no paper was stuck in the machine. What had happened was that the paper never got out of the in-tray because the movable roller that was meant to take over after the initial pick up had got forced into the wrong positiom, probably when the previous owner had tried to unjam it, and there was no gap for the paper to pass.

Reply to
Dave W

The usual issues with older printers are teeth coming off of plastic gears. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My money would be on a tiny srap of torn paper caught on one of the sensor microswitches or a crumped up piece of paper stuck in some nearly inaccessible and almost invisible spot near the heater. That is how my laser printer tends to fail when it has a mysterious fault that remains even though the obvious pieces of trapped paper have been removed.

Remember that some of the door open, toner not seated properly errors may be genuine caused by your frustration with the thing not working.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yup, that is what happened to mine...

Reply to
John Rumm

I've heard about similar things happening with older people too, regarding losing their teeth.

Reply to
whisky-dave