Tiling Woes

So what exactly happens? Does the adhesive stick to the tiles? Does it stick to the wall? Do they fall off when the adhesive sets?

Reply to
Grunff

Nails? ;)

Reply to
me

No, more

Reply to
Ian Stirling

SO I'm doing the bathroom...

Round the bath edge - I've got 2 tiles that just don't want to stay on the wall. Every other one is there sound and solid. Thelse last twop

- oh no.

Anyone got any suggestions. It's onto clean plaster that has been sealed with a light PVA solution (as my first try) and they still won't stick to the wall. Bloody troublesome little buggers.

They are 1/2 tiles - so not tiny little things.

Using howtex waterproof adhesive.

Everything else has gone well - just these 2.

Anyone got any peals of wisdom?

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Any chance they are being squeezed by bath-wall movement?

Reply to
Grunff

I knew I'd forgotten something :)

They start of sat nicely on the wall - but when the adhesive goes off it appears to lift away from the wall - leaving the tile sounding if not fully - at least in part hollow when you tap it - meaning that it isnt' stuck.

I remove them at that point - clean off adhesive and try again - but it only seems to be in the very final stage of the adhesive going off that this happens - as the moisture from the adhesive has definately contacted the wall as the plaster on the wall is left damp.

It's very odd - and a right sod.

Might have to be some no more nails on the adhesive when the tile falls off so that the bed of it is set right.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

If you're mixing the adhesive from a powder, I'd say it needs to be sloppier. All these things hang on initially by suction, replaced by adhesion as they dry. Try slapping a load of ready mix tile adhesive on the back of the tile and pushing it flush with the rest. Gives you a lot of excess to clear off but that has to stick. Bathroom floor I did last week just won't dry in this weather. Solid floor, shady location, unhappy customer.......

Reply to
stuart noble

Nope - they are not touching on the top of the bath - a couple of mm clear - and we aren't using the bath for the 48 hours that the adhesive shoudl take worst case to go off.

It's all rather puzzling...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-08-24, stuart noble shady location, unhappy customer.......

Premixed I'm afraid :(

I'll try the "plenty" approach tonight. If that doesn't work - in 2 days time - I'll no more nails the adhesive on the back of the tile from when it falls off to the damn wall :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon