Bathroom tiling

I have a brand new bathroom, recently plastered. The walls are concrete block built and it is not the main bathroom, so won't get a huge amount of use. A couple of questions, if I may;

Should I tile before I fit the bath, or vice versa?

How long should I leave the plaster before tiling, given that there is very gentle background heat and a trickle vent fan running slowly at all times?

Do I need to tile at all? Can't I just use paint on the plastered walls?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter

In a new build the tiler and the painter are in the house at about the same time, both follow the plumber.

It's easier to get the line right following the bath fitting, and none will get knocked off or damaged. On the other hand fixing them to run in line with other fittings might be easier if the tiling were done first.

A few days is all that is required. It is possible to fix tiles on wet plaster. Not sensible -but possible.

You can just paint it with a hardwaring gloss or similar. Tiles are more resistant to chemicals but paint is a good water sealant.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Later.

Not important. Plaster will probably dry out one way or another in time anyway.

Yes, you can. Tiles are really functionally useful in protecting plaster from drenching. The odd splash on an emulsion wall is no problem. Provided teh house is well heated and ventilated, it dries rapidly without staining usually.

If you find that the plaster is getting stained, that shows you where you need to tile dunnit?

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have batrhrrroms done is straight emulsion. Its no big deal unless you have heavy condensation problems. I do tile aress likley to get a good spalshing tho - behind the loo, and behind bath and basin. But a couple of rows is all you really NEED.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher