Round table edge

I have been following this group for quite a while now and have learned quite a few new ways of doing things. I am hoping that I can pick up a few tips on the best way to attach an edge to a round dinning room table I am building. The table top is constructed of 1" MDF and is 60" in diameter. It will be veneered in a book match pattern. For durability I will require a hard wood edge in excess of 1/2" thick around the table top. There are obviously various methods of doing this. Currently I am leaning towards a glued up cold bent edge attached with wood dowels at

10 degree intervals. This can then be routed on my circle jig to give a pleasing edge. What other methods have any of you used and how did the results turn out. Thanks

Dave Rhodes Still snow covered in Nova Scotia.

Reply to
Dave Rhodes

I have built literally hundreds of round tables and have found what I think to be the best way of making them with solid edges. Here are the steps

  1. Make you jigs for your solid edge

a: set your out side radius IE 60" (make you jig about 18" wide)

b: swing your router then cut your board off square at about 12" from the center of you arch

c: put your hold down clams on and stop blocks as to hold your wood in place while shaping

d: move your router back the distance you want your solid edge to be plus the width of your bit

e: swing your router then cut your board off square at about 12" from the center of you arch

f: : put your hold down clams on and stop blocks as to hold your wood in place while shaping

g: make your solid stock and shape with jigs

h: make a jig with a Vee cut into the right side out the piece

you do this by first making a cut near the center of your jig about 1 third of the length and then by cutting about a 45 degree angle in it looks kind of like a piece of paper with one corner cut off it

i: set your jig up on a shaper or router table with the saw cut inline with your bit and the vee cut a little further then your table radius from your bit

j: mark out your center of your blank put a pin on the center of your marks rough cut to diameter with a jig saw no need to be accurate here just close

k: turn over set in shaper jig and move the pin to the axis of the vee cut and spin to cut perfect circle you can make any size circle this way very accurate by moving the shaper jig toward the bit or away from the bit

always start larger than your finished size and work down to your solid edge you have already made.

I would use splines to attach the edges they seem to work better

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

PS : if you need some drawings of the jigs or pics let me know and I could e mail the to you snipped-for-privacy@telus.net