bath sealant - 2 layers?

Hi Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ? (gap was a bit large for a single bead) will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

thanks

Reply to
Vass

It will lift, I'd do the whole lot again. Sorry!

Reply to
Séan Connolly

It'll be fine unless the first one has been contaminated with something (soap, etc.).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Build it up like a Welder would make a thick bead, five lines, three lines, two lines and finally one line. Pascal's triangle.

O O O O O O OOOOO

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

That's not a Pascal's triangle... (I think he'd be insulted that you suggested such a thing!) ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

When I moved into my house in 1990 the sealant behind the sink had peeled away from the tiles slightly and gone mouldy in th gap. As I was extremely poor at the time I cleaned it up and just covered over the top with a thicker bead of kitchen and bathroom sealant. Lasted fine until the kitchen was redone 9 years later.

Reply to
Ian_m

A clean fresh layer is fine - the new stuff will stick perfectly. If it's a bit older you might want to trim a little bit off the get a good bond.

When I had a big gap to deal with (bath + uneven wall) I (under)filled the gap roughly, didn't smooth off, and went back the next day to put in a smoothed, shaped topcoat. There's no way to get them apart now.

A bit of pressure on the second coat (just from smoothing it) will help it stick.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

You're right. It is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rods per row. I sit too far from the monitor, Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

It's more the *contents* of the rows... See

for further info, although I don't think it'll help the OP with sealing his bath so perhaps this is getting a tad OT... ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton